Pullet or Roo?

HeatherTheMommy

Songster
May 14, 2015
Felton DE
I know it is still early but my chicks are 2.5 weeks old and some seem to have combs and some dont really. I was told all but 1 are pullets. The darker chickens seem to have almost no combs. Is this due to breeds? None show any red coloration yet tho.

I was questioning this one. This pic was from last week.

Unfortunately I can't help you because I am a newbie to the chicken world!! But I was hoping you could maybe you could help me out a little? The chick in question, what breed is that? My chicks are about the same age but we bought them at Atwoods(like tractor supply) so we don't know what they are. We only have 2 chicks, from the same bin of bantams. Well my daughters chick is probably a bantam (unknown breed) but the other is now HUGE and looks like the median brown you have identically!!! If I were to guess you have a pullet because its such a match and ours had a pink band on its wing that I removed. But still not sure. I think I know more about chickens than the folks at Atwoods do.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I can't help you because I am a newbie to the chicken world!! But I was hoping you could maybe you could help me out a little? The chick in question, what breed is that? My chicks are about the same age but we bought them at Atwoods(like tractor supply) so we don't know what they are. We only have 2 chicks, from the same bin of bantams. Well my daughters chick is probably a bantam (unknown breed) but the other is now HUGE and looks like the median brown you have identically!!! If I were to guess you have a pullet because its such a match and ours had a pink band on its wing that I removed. But still not sure. I think I know more about chickens than the folks at Atwoods do.
these pics are from a week or so ago

I know it is still early but my chicks are 2.5 weeks old and some seem to have combs and some dont really. I was told all but 1 are pullets. The darker chickens seem to have almost no combs. Is this due to breeds? None show any red coloration yet tho.
It's way too early. All breeds begin to develop small combs by 3 weeks or so. Different breeds have different comb types. Boys will usually start to turn pink between 4 and 10 weeks.

Lots of breeds initially feather in with that brown juvenile partridge pattern. Final adult pattern starts to become apparent at about 8 weeks. Then there is leg color and comb type to take into consideration. The black and white one looks like a Silver Sebright, a bantam breed with yellow head as chicks, and feather in with black and white lacing. It's too early to tell what the other one is.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom