Pullet Panic

RGB RIP

Chirping
Jun 11, 2021
I have 2 pullets that are 13 weeks - not quite old enough yet for lay pellets, but the hens eat all their grower feed if I leave it out for them. So I bring the pullets indoors overnight so they can have their proper food for their first and last meal of the day. They stay in an extra- large metal dog kennel fitted with a perch. Last night I heard this tremendous kerfuffle. Cracklin' Rosie was out of her mind with panic - wild-eyed, screaming, throwing herself against the cage bars so hard I thought she would hurt herself. (The other girl - Sweet Caroline - was also making a lot of noise, but I got the impression she was more upset because Rosie was going nuts.). I pulled Rosie out of the cage, and even though she doesn't usually like to be held, she let me hold her close and pet her, and she eventually calmed down. I am so confused by what caused this. The only thing that occurs to me is that they can see out the back door from their cage, and maybe there was a wild animal outside? Could she have gotten that panicked over a rat or a neighborhood cat, or do I need to consider something more sinister like raccoons? Or could it have been something else entirely that caused her panic?

Chickens are prey animals so if she saw something moving in the night her first reaction would be to get away. They have poor night vision, but anything from a tiny mouse, to something larger like a raccoon or cat could have easily scared her.

She could have panicked over something, yes.
All your chickens can eat grower, it's actually better for them
I didn't know that about the grower feed - I thought it would make the hens fat. But if they can eat it too, that will make life a lot easier.

I didn't know that about the grower feed - I thought it would make the hens fat. But if they can eat it too, that will make life a lot easier.
Grower is 18 to 20% protein, layer is the bare minimum protein (15-16%), it was formulated for battery hens that aren't expected to live past 2 so it's not worth it to egg farmers to invest more protein for keeping them healthier.

Grower is 18 to 20% protein, layer is the bare minimum protein (15-16%), it was formulated for battery hens that aren't expected to live past 2 so it's not worth it to egg farmers to invest
The hens certainly seem to like it a lot better. Early on I put some of it in the run along with their regular food, and they gobbled down the grower feed until their crops were huge. I don't know if it tastes better, or if it was just a treat because it was different from their normal food. But I got worried the pullets might not be getting all the food they needed because the big girls were hogging it all.

The hens certainly seem to like it a lot better. Early on I put some of it in the run along with their regular food, and they gobbled down the grower feed until their crops were huge. I don't know if it tastes better, or if it was just a treat because it was different from their normal food. But I got worried the pullets might not be getting all the food they needed because the big girls were hogging it all.
They can all eat it, try using multiple feeders so everyone can get some.

Yes, but the active layers need a calcium source, most use Oyster Shell in a separate feeder.

Grower is 18 to 20% protein,
Some are, some are much lower.
Always good to learn to read the nutritional tags sewn into the bottom of feed bags.

[...] but anything from a tiny mouse, to something larger like a raccoon or cat could have easily scared her.
Also: piece of paper shifted, she noticed a banana on the counter, etc. etc.

Chickens are smart enough to be wary and the stuff I've seen chickens lose their minds over has varied from concerning (raccoons) to laughable (watermelon offered to birds).

Back
Top Bottom