Pullet refusing food, no other symptoms

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RareFeathers, Mar 26, 2011.

1. RareFeathers

RareFeathers Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2010
    Tamworth, NSW
    i have a white leghorn pullet, who hasn't eaten since about 2 days ago. there aren't any other symptoms other than her moving more slowly, and just standing around. when i throw food in her direction, she won't peck at it. she will, however, eat bread if i tear off a small peice and put it in her beak. she is drinking normally. i had a hen like that last week, so i seperated her, put her in an A Frame out on the yard and after a while, she was eating fine. could it have been access to grass and other green stuff that did it? i'm trying the same thing with the pullet, but even so, i'd like to know what may have caused it.

thanks

james

2. Chicken Chat

Chicken Chat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Sorry no one has answered your post. I read awhile back that one members hen was not eating and it was thought to be caused by worms. Is there a crop impaction?

3. DaughterOfEve

DaughterOfEve Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Montague, MI
    check the crop for impaction. Is it always full and hard even though it is not eating. A little mineral oil on a piece of scrambled egg. I am sure there is info out there on how to treat impaction. I have even seen post on BYC on how to operate. I doubt I could ever. Best of luck.

4. RareFeathers

RareFeathers Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2010
    Tamworth, NSW
    I just checked - No impaction that i can feel at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by