Pullet Reorganizing Fake Eggs

I watched my broody as she rolled it with her beak. Wings???? Lol

They do that too. But when they move a golf ball from one of these nests to another of these nests you know that they didn't roll it. :D

0902211342.jpg

I have had my Black Marans stop laying for weeks while she sits in the nesting box trying to hatch her flock mates eggs. I don't have any roosters. I have to remove her from the box at least 5 times a day. She fluffs up when I open the box and I reach under her and take the eggs from her freshly plucked breast. She gets up to leave. I have not had a nasty chicken yet. What breed is your broody?

I have had my Black Marans stop laying for weeks while she sits in the nesting box trying to hatch her flock mates eggs. I don't have any roosters. I have to remove her from the box at least 5 times a day. She fluffs up when I open the box and I reach under her and take the eggs from her freshly plucked breast. She gets up to leave. I have not had a nasty chicken yet. What breed is your broody?

The ones from the in-town flock were Dark Brahmas. One would let me do what I needed to without protest but the other, who was normally my friendliest bird, was viciously protective of her eggs and would draw blood.

The one in the current flock is a Blue Australrop. She does not bite, but she growls, hisses, complains, and never wants to be handled at all, particularly when broody.

The ones from the in-town flock were Dark Brahmas. One would let me do what I needed to without protest but the other, who was normally my friendliest bird, was viciously protective of her eggs and would draw blood.

The one in the current flock is a Blue Australrop. She does not bite, but she growls, hisses, complains, and never wants to be handled at all, particularly when broody.
Wow, that's a shame. Are the eggs fertile? Do you let them hatch?

Wow, that's a shame. Are the eggs fertile? Do you let them hatch?

No, the eggs weren't fertile because I didn't have a rooster then. She'll get her chance to raise a family next fall with either the Black Langshan "oops rooster" from the Ideal Dozen that I got in May or with one from the Blue Australorp straight-runs of the 25 From Welp that I got last week.

She's a beauty and I want more like her.

Back
Top Bottom