Pullet says "thanks" to my flock guardian dogs.....

cackleberrycoop

Songster
9 Years
Oct 13, 2010
Montana
I was doing my dishes, watching my critters out the window, My flock free ranges under the protection of brother and sister Anatolian Shepherd flock guardian dogs, Casper and Callie. I noticed the two behaving strangely - watching one of their dog houses, wiggling and squirming just like they do when they are watching me dish up their food; clearly in great anticipation of SOMETHING.
This was still going on when the dishes were finished, so I had to go find out what was up. The source of all the excitement seemed to be the dog house still, so that's where I looked.

This is what I saw:

This is a pullet in a position that I recognize! And apparently, so do my dogs.

Casper patiently waiting.......

For this.......!!

After she layed her beautiful blue egg in the back of Casper's dog house, she gave it a good looking over, walked outside and sang her little egg song, then sauntered back out to the field and her flock mates.

Great dog, bird and egg! We were stationed in Izmir, Turkey and at the zoo in a small pen there was an Anatolian Shepherd, it was such a nice dog. I hated that it was there at this so-called 'zoo', they had a wolf in the cage beside it and my friend and I would pet them and take dog bones for them. This was in 1990, I hope it's changed since then.

Oh, that's funny!

And you got photos? I'm impressed and delighted.

Where's the Montana snow?

Seriously! This has been the warmest winter I have ever experienced here. It started out with a hard freeze and a pile of deep snow, which melted away after about a week and ever since we have had day time highs in the thirties, sometimes even fourties, and I don't think that we have had even close to zero at night. It sure has made the whole chicken raising thing much simpler!

Great dog, bird and egg! We were stationed in Izmir, Turkey and at the zoo in a small pen there was an Anatolian Shepherd, it was such a nice dog. I hated that it was there at this so-called 'zoo', they had a wolf in the cage beside it and my friend and I would pet them and take dog bones for them. This was in 1990, I hope it's changed since then.

Oh, that's painful to think about. I know my guys would be miserable in a pen - their need to roam is intense.

Back
Top Bottom