Pullet says "thanks" to my flock guardian dogs.....

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by cackleberrycoop, Jan 17, 2012.

1. cackleberrycoop

cackleberrycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Montana
    I was doing my dishes, watching my critters out the window, My flock free ranges under the protection of brother and sister Anatolian Shepherd flock guardian dogs, Casper and Callie. I noticed the two behaving strangely - watching one of their dog houses, wiggling and squirming just like they do when they are watching me dish up their food; clearly in great anticipation of SOMETHING.
    This was still going on when the dishes were finished, so I had to go find out what was up. The source of all the excitement seemed to be the dog house still, so that's where I looked.

This is what I saw:

[​IMG]

This is a pullet in a position that I recognize! And apparently, so do my dogs.

Casper patiently waiting.......
    [​IMG]

For this.......!!

[​IMG]

After she layed her beautiful blue egg in the back of Casper's dog house, she gave it a good looking over, walked outside and sang her little egg song, then sauntered back out to the field and her flock mates.

2. Scooter&Suzie

Scooter&Suzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    That's such a beautiful egg! Congrats!

3. Spangled

Spangled Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2012
    Serenity Valley
    Oh, that's funny!

And you got photos? I'm impressed and delighted.

Where's the Montana snow?

4. FeatherPainter

FeatherPainter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Northern New York
    Great dog, bird and egg! We were stationed in Izmir, Turkey and at the zoo in a small pen there was an Anatolian Shepherd, it was such a nice dog. I hated that it was there at this so-called 'zoo', they had a wolf in the cage beside it and my friend and I would pet them and take dog bones for them. This was in 1990, I hope it's changed since then.

5. cackleberrycoop

Oct 13, 2010
    Montana
    Seriously! This has been the warmest winter I have ever experienced here. It started out with a hard freeze and a pile of deep snow, which melted away after about a week and ever since we have had day time highs in the thirties, sometimes even fourties, and I don't think that we have had even close to zero at night. It sure has made the whole chicken raising thing much simpler!

6. cackleberrycoop

Oct 13, 2010
    Montana
    Oh, that's painful to think about. I know my guys would be miserable in a pen - their need to roam is intense.

7. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    That's great - I love the picture of the hen studying her egg!

8. Desirai

Desirai Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2011
    Alabama
    what a beautiful egg! What kind of chicken is she?

Beautiful dog too!

9. cackleberrycoop

Oct 13, 2010
    Montana
    It really is beautiful isn't it? She is a non-standard Ameraucana who didn't ever grow a muff and beard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by