Pullet says "thanks" to my flock guardian dogs.....

cackleberrycoop

Songster
9 Years
Oct 13, 2010
Montana
I was doing my dishes, watching my critters out the window, My flock free ranges under the protection of brother and sister Anatolian Shepherd flock guardian dogs, Casper and Callie. I noticed the two behaving strangely - watching one of their dog houses, wiggling and squirming just like they do when they are watching me dish up their food; clearly in great anticipation of SOMETHING.
This was still going on when the dishes were finished, so I had to go find out what was up. The source of all the excitement seemed to be the dog house still, so that's where I looked.

This is what I saw:

This is a pullet in a position that I recognize! And apparently, so do my dogs.

Casper patiently waiting.......

For this.......!!

After she layed her beautiful blue egg in the back of Casper's dog house, she gave it a good looking over, walked outside and sang her little egg song, then sauntered back out to the field and her flock mates.

FeatherPainter

Songster
8 Years
Apr 19, 2011
Northern New York
Great dog, bird and egg! We were stationed in Izmir, Turkey and at the zoo in a small pen there was an Anatolian Shepherd, it was such a nice dog. I hated that it was there at this so-called 'zoo', they had a wolf in the cage beside it and my friend and I would pet them and take dog bones for them. This was in 1990, I hope it's changed since then.

cackleberrycoop

Songster
9 Years
Oct 13, 2010
Montana
Oh, that's funny!

And you got photos? I'm impressed and delighted.

Where's the Montana snow?

Seriously! This has been the warmest winter I have ever experienced here. It started out with a hard freeze and a pile of deep snow, which melted away after about a week and ever since we have had day time highs in the thirties, sometimes even fourties, and I don't think that we have had even close to zero at night. It sure has made the whole chicken raising thing much simpler!

cackleberrycoop

Songster
9 Years
Oct 13, 2010
Montana
Great dog, bird and egg! We were stationed in Izmir, Turkey and at the zoo in a small pen there was an Anatolian Shepherd, it was such a nice dog. I hated that it was there at this so-called 'zoo', they had a wolf in the cage beside it and my friend and I would pet them and take dog bones for them. This was in 1990, I hope it's changed since then.

Oh, that's painful to think about. I know my guys would be miserable in a pen - their need to roam is intense.

Top Bottom