Pullet sitting nest box but not laying

Haroon3233

In the Brooder
May 13, 2019
Hi everyone
Hope every body doing good
I have a pullet which is about 7 to 8 month old. She is turing into hen, red face , big comb , pelvic bones separated. Everything seems ok for her. But for last 3 to 4 weeks she is sitting in nest box every day regularly. She starts that egg song and then sit in nest box for 15 to 30 minutes on daily basis but get out with no egg layed . I am sure she is not eating her eggs. Help!!! What should i do ? I am giving her vitamins minerals and calcium supplements.
Helpp
Thanks in advance....

Hi everyone
Hope every body doing good
I have a pullet which is about 7 to 8 month old. She is turing into hen, red face , big comb , pelvic bones separated. Everything seems ok for her. But for last 3 to 4 weeks she is sitting in nest box every day regularly. She starts that egg song and then sit in nest box for 15 to 30 minutes on daily basis but get out with no egg layed . I am sure she is not eating her eggs. Help!!! What should i do ? I am giving her vitamins minerals and calcium supplements.
Helpp
Thanks in advance....
hello @Haroon3233 - welcome to BYC :frow
She may just be practicing; I have one doing exactly the same right now.

I have some of my older pullets, 20-25 weeks that are digging holes in the corner of the coops. I didn't realize that they were this old already. I haven't installed nest boxes yet, is this a sign?
I have Australorps, wyandotte and some EES and some golden comments that are in that age range. At what age do they usually start laying. Bi started giving them crushed shells yesterday.

Yes, nest-seeking is a sign.

At that age and with days getting longer eggs are due any time now.

She's practicing.

I have a couple pullets digging nests in the coop bedding to sit in.
I have some of my older pullets, 20-25 weeks that are digging holes in the corner of the coops. I didn't realize that they were this old already. I haven't installed nest boxes yet, is this a sign?
I have Australorps, wyandotte and some EES and some golden comments that are in that age range. At what age do they usually start laying. Bi started giving them crushed shells yesterday.

You can feel eggs inside chickens? That's kinda cool! I did not know that! :eek:
You can! I do if I think they are egg bound. Gently squeeze (VERY Gently) just behind the vent between the vent bones for a round hard lump. The less ready the egg, the further back it will be.

Back
Top Bottom