Pullet Sneezing and Enlarged Heart?

Hello Miss Prissy.

Well I have my own homemade situation going on in the bathroom. I turned the heater on again last night and towards morning kept making it less hot so that the transition to outside would not be so dramatic on her and she seems fine today. I am bringing them in earlier as it is quite breezy. They both are getting their outer feathers but like you say, on the body they are not feathered enough. She is running around chasing bugs today and we have not noticed her sneezing. Tonight when she gets mommy time is when I will find out for sure. But once again, they keep staying in the shade while in the pen. Even I have their food and water on the sunny side but they don't stay there for the warmth. ?????

Last edited:
dlhunicorn, you know I did not examine the starter that closely. When I had chicks a couple of years ago I had determined that all of the store food available to me was medicated so I just assumed that it was still that way. (Plus I can't read that little anymore so I guess I was just lazy about it.) I suspect that it is all still medicated because of the concern of bird flu and also here in AZ alot of germy things do not get killed in a winter freeze cuz it does not freeze so extra safety is required with all foods. Although I will say that last time I had chicks there was some kind of worm in a bag of food I bought but I just considered it more protein for them.

No more sneezes!

I just read on the FAQ that I should not have put them out so young. I cannot imagine keeping them occupied in the bathroom for so many weeks. I guess I just thought that if they were with their mother they would be outside with her occasionally if raised in the natural way?

They sure did complain and cry about coming in earlier last night and this a.m. they wanted to go out before I felt it was warm enough so they cried about that as well. I guess I will have to be more vigilant and take them in for warming naps since it is now getting colder. Plus tomorrow we are to have a thunderstorm.

Thanks for all the responses folks - this is the nicest forum.

If they were with their mother they indeed would be out with her during the day. She also knows when enough is enough and brings them in and tucks them under her wings and gets them toasty for a nice long nap. She boks and they mind her. It is the one things we can't do. We can try but we are not a mother hen. We have to be on our toes and much more watchful to make sure they get what they need and are not over exposed.

Good luck with your babies. I hope they grow up to be fat and sassy and very broody hens!
wink.png

When I take my 3 weekers outside to play they start out with warm feet. When their feet start to cool down it's time to bring em in. They usually take a nap right away.

Back
Top Bottom