Pullet starving, poopy butt, won't eat much, not standing

I haven't seen a single suggestion of having a fecal sample read, nor did I read that you did so.
You don't know how to treat if you don't know what is wrong.

I once had about 4 hens in a flock with really bad diarrhea and messy butts and suspected roundworms. Rather than worming, I had a fecal read.
There were no worms but they had a bad case of clostridial bacteria infection. Vet gave me dosages of tetracycline to treat the whole flock. Cleared everything up.

Other than warmth, ventilation, hydration and nutrition I'm not a fan of any treatments till one knows the problem.

I am not sure where to get a fecal. The two vets near me don't do them for chickens. I am not sure where to take one. I am a fan of checking too which is why I knew exactly what the old flock got. I had blood work done. I will have to wait till my main vet contacts my back. Since I called and texted and have not heard back, she may be away.

Yes, I seem to recall being told they need to be at 85F if it's possible when they are stressed/injured/ill. At 58F, definitely heat pad, I would think.
correct, sick birds like 80-85

Well, I did the epsom salt, and she continues to drink, but she is not keeping herself upright well which spells big trouble. I just wish I knew what trouble.
it could be that she is too dehydrated/weak to stand
I am not sure where to get a fecal. The two vets near me don't do them for chickens. I am not sure where to take one. I am a fan of checking too which is why I knew exactly what the old flock got. I had blood work done. I will have to wait till my main vet contacts my back. Since I called and texted and have not heard back, she may be away.
bring the poop to the vet and tell them its cat poop, its the same test

I had to call about 40 vets the last time I had one done. Everyone either said no or wanted to see "the patient". I asked which of the 20 chickens they wanted me to bring in and they said, 'never mind'. I finally found a vet 3 counties away that would do it and he was very knowledgeable.
Luckily we have a couple good avian vets with poultry experience but they are on the complete opposite end of the metropolitan area so it was just as fast and easy to drive into Illinois without all the traffic and stop signs/lights.

It's a bummer to have to drive past about 50 veterinarians to get to one that will help.

correct, sick birds like 80-85

it could be that she is too dehydrated/weak to stand
bring the poop to the vet and tell them its cat poop, its the same test

Good point.
Any vet should be able to read a fecal sample. Worms are worms and bacteria is bacteria no matter what species it came from.

Well, I got her to eat some of the eggs, and drink some of the water that I put save a chick probiotics and electrolytes in. She is laying on a heated pet bed pad. I don't know what else to do right now.
@casportpony @ChickenCanoe @mlm mike
Sorry Dax, I really don't have any additional advice than what others have already said.

She died some time last night. Thanks for checking.

My best pullet who was at point of lay, but not laying so I could not even save her genetics. :(

Back
Top Bottom