pullet still sick after deworming for capillary worms: UPDATE

yes, I've been looking for a scale. By a couple ounces I meant less than a pound, sorry. I'm sure she does not weigh a pound. She's a small chick, always has been. Is smaller than her siblings. Her mother is not very big either, though, estimate she weighs three or four pounds. And Peanut, the chick, could turn out to be a bantam, we do have some bantams in the flock and I'm sure they are not going to follow the target weight chart you listed. We do have a Harbor Freight, I will go there to look, thank you!

So is it ok to put all the chicks on somemedicated chick starter, and still treat her for worms at the same time?
Medicated feed won't treat coccidia, but it is okay to worm them while they eating it. FYI, there are no drug interactions between amprolium and fenbendazole (Safeguard) that I have been able to find. There have been a few times that I have been unsure as to what was ailing one of my birds, so they have been treated with Corid *and* Safeguard at the same time and have shown no ill effects.

-Kathy

@chicknmania , when you have time, you should read this thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/926738/safeguard-and-feather-damage-while-molting

Lots of info on how he has dealt with coccidia and worms.

-Kathy

I HAVE used fenbendazole during molt and the results WERE ingrown feathers, regrown featherless shafts, curled feathers.
Here's a link regarding fenbendazole use in turkeys and the same results in chickens from my personal experience. It ALSO appears that fenbendazole affects sperm quality in male turkeys, most likely roosters as well.
Scroll down to "TREATMENT AND CONTROL." Read the the fifth paragraph starting with "Fenbendazole." Be sure to read the last sentence in the paragraph.
Fenbendazole aka Safeguard/Panacur.
http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/poultry/helminthiasis/overview_of_helminthiasis_in_poultry.html

Quote: I posted that link not for the feather issue, but for someone to get an idea of how much to give and ways to give it.
big_smile.png
Personally, I give it no matter what stage of molt they're in and so far haven't seen any issues.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

Edited to add:
Peafowl aren't like chickens and are always growing in feathers. Have used fenbendazole in molting ducks, chickens, turkeys, guineas and peafowl - zero feather issues.

Have also used it in my breeding stock and have seen zero difference in egg fertility/hatchablity. Not saying people should use it during molt or breeding, just that I have and haven't had any issues with it.

Last edited:
Quote: I posted that link not for the feather issue, but for someone to get an idea of how much to give and ways to give it.
big_smile.png
Personally, I give it no matter what stage of molt they're in and so far haven't seen any issues.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

Edited to add:
Peafowl aren't like chickens and are always growing in feathers. Have used fenbendazole in molting ducks, chickens, turkeys, guineas and peafowl - zero feather issues.

Have also used it in my breeding stock and have seen zero difference in egg fertility/hatchablity. Not saying people should use it during molt or breeding, just that I have and haven't had any issues with it.

I was responding to your post #10 in this link as proof that fenbendazole causes feather regrowth problems during molt, no matter what type of bird is involved.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/926738/safeguard-and-feather-damage-while-molting

Birds should not be wormed during molt, no matter what kind of bird or what kind of wormer is used. Birds are under too much stress during molt as it is. Worming can cause additional stress weakening the birds immune system and possibly opening the door for bacterial, viral or fungal infections. I recommend only worming birds during molt as an absolute last resort.

I was responding to your post #10 in this link as proof that fenbendazole causes feather regrowth problems during molt, no matter what type of bird is involved.

Birds should not be wormed during molt, no matter what kind of bird or what kind of wormer is used. Birds are under too much stress during molt as it is. Worming can cause additional stress weakening the birds immune system and possibly opening the door for bacterial, viral or fungal infections. I recommend only worming birds during molt as an absolute last resort.
But peafowl molt just about year-round. They don't molt the same way chickens do, so there is no way to avoid it. What I have read is that fenbendazole *may* cause stunted feathers, and so far I have not seen that in any of my birds, but I've only wormed a couple hundred in various stages of molt, so I guess it'll happen sooner or later.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

But peafowl molt just about year-round. They don't molt the same way chickens do, so there is no way to avoid it. What I have read is that fenbendazole *may* cause stunted feathers, and so far I have not seen that in any of my birds, but I've only wormed a couple hundred in various stages of molt, so I guess it'll happen sooner or later.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

Many pigeon wormers containing Pyrantel + Praziquantel are labeled safe to use during moult. It is best to worm before onset of moult, but sometimes it is better to worm during moult rather than leaving a worm infested bird to bear it in addition to the stress of moult. I grew up around peafowl and never remember seeing them moult like chickens do. Interesting you reminded me of that.

Here's an interesting concoction (obviously labeled for use by folks living in the tropics):

Tape Terminator

LIQUID DEWORMER. It controls roundworms and tapeworms in fighting cocks. For chicks, mix 1-2 teaspoons per gallon of drinking water for 2 consecutive days.
COMPOSITION
Each mL contains:
Praziquantel – 50 mg;
Levamisole Hydrochloride – 10 mg
Excipients q.s. ad – 1 mL
INDICATIONS
For the control of tapeworm, round-worm, cecal worm, gapeworm, gizzardworm and thread worm in fightingcocks.
DOSAGE & ADMINISTRATION
By oral administration or mix with drinking water. Repeat deworming every month in the range and every 2 months for older birds.
Chicks:
2 – 3 months : 1 – 2 mL/gallon
4 – 5 months : 3 – 4 mL/gallon
Stags/Breeders : 0.5 – 1 mL/head
Cocks : 1 mL/head

Back
Top Bottom