Pullet Stumbling

I am currently dealing with the exact same situation. I did a 7 day treatment of corid. All was well for a week and I noticed one girl stumbling. So I am also assuming vitamin deficiency since corid kinda wipes them out. I am currently doing 2.5ml of poultry cell, poultry booster (in her non- medicated food) and nutritions yeast. My girl will stand and take 3 steps but is very off balance. I didn’t realize I needed non-medicated feed with the vitamins so I’ve only been doing that for a solid 2 days. Im hoping that she pulls through. Mine is eating normal and im syringing her water just to make sure. She is not drinking much. She did love the meal worms I offered yesterday. SHe did seem to be tired yesterday and maybe it was from the poultry cell. I didn’t know that makes them tired too. Good to know. Please keep my posted. My girl is in my extra bedroom in a kennel. She was panting in the coop and I think it was too stressful.

I am currently dealing with the exact same situation. I did a 7 day treatment of corid. All was well for a week and I noticed one girl stumbling. So I am also assuming vitamin deficiency since corid kinda wipes them out. I am currently doing 2.5ml of poultry cell, poultry booster (in her non- medicated food) and nutritions yeast. My girl will stand and take 3 steps but is very off balance. I didn’t realize I needed non-medicated feed with the vitamins so I’ve only been doing that for a solid 2 days. Im hoping that she pulls through. Mine is eating normal and im syringing her water just to make sure. She is not drinking much. She did love the meal worms I offered yesterday. SHe did seem to be tired yesterday and maybe it was from the poultry cell. I didn’t know that makes them tired too. Good to know. Please keep my posted. My girl is in my extra bedroom in a kennel. She was panting in the coop and I think it was too stressful.
I'm sorry to hear that! How old is your girl? I've had really good success with 'mealworm fishing' when they're not drinking much water. You add some mealworms, or even crush them up a little so there's something floating in the water, and then when they reach for the worms they inadvertently drink water. I discovered that when one of mine was recovering from a dog attack and wasn't drinking. I've got my girl on vitamin water with all flock pellets mixed in, so it's like a mash. She doesn't like the pellets by themselves and won't eat the pellets if they're a little wet, but if it's mainly water with dissolved pellets in it she eats/drinks fine. Also had success with adding some tuna to her water dish, she pecks for the tuna but gets water at the same time. I brought my girl in too, it's 85 here today and I figured that's gotta do a number on you, esp when you're sick. Is your girl still able to walk? I made mine a sling from a towel and a laundry bin and I've found she's more likely to eat and drink when sitting right side up as opposed to her side. I cut holes in the towel for her legs to lightly hang while touching the floor and place her food in front of her. I've been giving Selenium/Vit E paste and B12 Complex paste, she was weak yesterday when I first brought her inside but today she has drank and ate a lot.

I'm sorry to hear that! How old is your girl? I've had really good success with 'mealworm fishing' when they're not drinking much water. You add some mealworms, or even crush them up a little so there's something floating in the water, and then when they reach for the worms they inadvertently drink water. I discovered that when one of mine was recovering from a dog attack and wasn't drinking. I've got my girl on vitamin water with all flock pellets mixed in, so it's like a mash. She doesn't like the pellets by themselves and won't eat the pellets if they're a little wet, but if it's mainly water with dissolved pellets in it she eats/drinks fine. Also had success with adding some tuna to her water dish, she pecks for the tuna but gets water at the same time. I brought my girl in too, it's 85 here today and I figured that's gotta do a number on you, esp when you're sick. Is your girl still able to walk? I made mine a sling from a towel and a laundry bin and I've found she's more likely to eat and drink when sitting right side up as opposed to her side. I cut holes in the towel for her legs to lightly hang while touching the floor and place her food in front of her. I've been giving Selenium/Vit E paste and B12 Complex paste, she was weak yesterday when I first brought her inside but today she has drank and ate a lot.
Mine will stand for a few seconds and loses her balance and flails around and I hate to watch her cause she can’t get up. She’s not drinking much I’m making her drink. She will eat her crumble and I have poultry booster in there with meal worms. I would love to see the sling you made. My girl just cut her toe because it got caught on the kennel. She seems to want to sleep a lot. How did you learn that poultry cell makes them sleepy??

Mine will stand for a few seconds and loses her balance and flails around and I hate to watch her cause she can’t get up. She’s not drinking much I’m making her drink. She will eat her crumble and I have poultry booster in there with meal worms. I would love to see the sling you made. My girl just cut her toe because it got caught on the kennel. She seems to want to sleep a lot. How did you learn that poultry cell makes them sleepy??
Oh when I mentioned in a previous comment where she was tired after Poultry Cell I just meant the whole process of - getting her out of her kennel and getting her beak open so I could syringe Poultry Cell slowly, and over a couple of minutes - would wear her out. So not the Poultry Cell itself but I noticed just the process of getting fluids into her was a lot of work for her because she'd rather just lay in her kennel. I do remember reading that... I believe it was Nutri Drench, can make them not as hungry. Maybe PC does the same thing but you'd have to do more research.

Here is the sling I made her. I got the idea from a video on YouTube where a girl was rehabbing her rooster. Legs in the front holes, I made a hole for her vent too and so far so good everything just falls on a paper towel beneath her and not onto her or the towel. The girl in the video just used clips to hold the towel in place, best I had was chip clips but she's so small it holds her up just fine.

20230622_070057.jpg
20230622_070107.jpg

Wow that awesome. My name is Ashley by the way. I live in Sharon SC. Where are you located?
Yes I agree, the process does seem to wear my girl out too. I really hope that she lives. I lost my Rooster (7mths old) to Cocci 2 weeks ago Friday. I did not get to him in time. I am new to this. My parents have like 80 chickens and they have NEVER had to do through what i’ve been dealing with. I feel like when you do “extra” everything seems to happen. My parents do nothing extra for them. They are truly back yard chickens.
How many time a day are you doing the selenium/vitamin e paste? Ive been doing that as well. I do a pea size morning and night. I also give poultry cell orally with a syringe morning and night 2mls, and then the poultry booster crumbles that are in her food. I did try the meal worms crushed in her water last night and that was the FIRST time I saw her drink on her own. I also put tiny pieces of tomatoes in it. She loves tomatoes. I know it can take weeks I just hope they both heal and pull through. It is a lot of work but I don’t mind it at all. I just want her to live and be normal again. I started the rest of my flock on poultry booster in their food just to be safe. I watch them walk like a hawk. I don’t want to see anymore limping. Hahaha.
This is my girl. My entire flock is Salmon Faverolles.

Attachments

• 3819E5A0-A43B-4E1F-A68B-14116007C365.jpeg
    3819E5A0-A43B-4E1F-A68B-14116007C365.jpeg
    626.8 KB · Views: 10
Wow that awesome. My name is Ashley by the way. I live in Sharon SC. Where are you located?
Yes I agree, the process does seem to wear my girl out too. I really hope that she lives. I lost my Rooster (7mths old) to Cocci 2 weeks ago Friday. I did not get to him in time. I am new to this. My parents have like 80 chickens and they have NEVER had to do through what i’ve been dealing with. I feel like when you do “extra” everything seems to happen. My parents do nothing extra for them. They are truly back yard chickens.
How many time a day are you doing the selenium/vitamin e paste? Ive been doing that as well. I do a pea size morning and night. I also give poultry cell orally with a syringe morning and night 2mls, and then the poultry booster crumbles that are in her food. I did try the meal worms crushed in her water last night and that was the FIRST time I saw her drink on her own. I also put tiny pieces of tomatoes in it. She loves tomatoes. I know it can take weeks I just hope they both heal and pull through. It is a lot of work but I don’t mind it at all. I just want her to live and be normal again. I started the rest of my flock on poultry booster in their food just to be safe. I watch them walk like a hawk. I don’t want to see anymore limping. Hahaha.
This is my girl. My entire flock is Salmon Faverolles.
Aw poor girl! I'm in Northern MN but I grew up in Georgia, so not too far from SC! I absolutely agree with you - this girl would be my second flock of chickens, I've only been raising them for 2 years now, but I swear anything extra just leads to trouble!!! Which sucks because I love to spoil them. I've been trying to give Selenium/E and B12 paste at least 2x/day in pea sized amounts. I've stopped the Nutri Drench/Poultry Cell just because that's all I had to give her initially and I didn't notice much of a difference? Maybe I should get back on that though. I have Durvet vitamin powder in her water but the vitamins in that aren't super high amounts, I'm thinking of switching it back to Poultry Cell water IF she will drink it, I don't think she likes the taste. And yay she drank on her own!!! That's awesome! Have you looked into Marek's at all or are you thinking vitamin deficiency? I've seen videos of curly toe/vitamin deficiency in chickens and her toes aren't curled - her right leg looks like it's working/she kicks it a lot, but her left leg doesn't move/toes don't move.

I did look into Marek’s but it’s very similar to vitamin deficiencies. I think it’s too much of a coincidence that we both have struggled with cocci. I actually just wormed all mine yesterday with safeguard just to make sure that wasn’t the issue. I also so the paste Selenium/E twice a day. She seems to like the taste of that and it does smell good. My girls toes are not curled all the time. Just when she stands. She sometimes throws both her legs out forward when she loses her balance. I watched a video on YouTube and that is what and how I have been treating but I added the selenium/e. Go and check out Bock Bock Boutique and there is a video called “curled toe paralysis” “paralyzed chicken walks again”. I like her videos. I‘ve also read that Nutri Drench does not have all the other vitamins that is needed. I think the girl in the video said it took around 8 weeks to heal completely. I feel like if it was Marek’s the others would be showing signs by now too but i have read that most chickens have a strain of Mareks in their system and just never show symptoms. It is mind boggling for sure. I work in the medical field and im already an over-thinker and its driving me nuts. I just want to walk in and her be standing there “fussing” and walking like normal. I wonder how long it takes for their bodies to absorb the vitamins we are pushing. Like so many questions. This picture was Sunday. I brought her inside on Saturday night. She was standing way more than she is now. Now when she tries to stand she flips around everywhere.
**where did you get b12 paste? I might should add that to all the things**

Attachments

• 4F8BD240-2B60-492D-96E5-C16E9B8ED899.jpeg
    4F8BD240-2B60-492D-96E5-C16E9B8ED899.jpeg
    721.4 KB · Views: 10
I did look into Marek’s but it’s very similar to vitamin deficiencies. I think it’s too much of a coincidence that we both have struggled with cocci. I actually just wormed all mine yesterday with safeguard just to make sure that wasn’t the issue. I also so the paste Selenium/E twice a day. She seems to like the taste of that and it does smell good. My girls toes are not curled all the time. Just when she stands. She sometimes throws both her legs out forward when she loses her balance. I watched a video on YouTube and that is what and how I have been treating but I added the selenium/e. Go and check out Bock Bock Boutique and there is a video called “curled toe paralysis” “paralyzed chicken walks again”. I like her videos. I‘ve also read that Nutri Drench does not have all the other vitamins that is needed. I think the girl in the video said it took around 8 weeks to heal completely. I feel like if it was Marek’s the others would be showing signs by now too but i have read that most chickens have a strain of Mareks in their system and just never show symptoms. It is mind boggling for sure. I work in the medical field and im already an over-thinker and its driving me nuts. I just want to walk in and her be standing there “fussing” and walking like normal. I wonder how long it takes for their bodies to absorb the vitamins we are pushing. Like so many questions. This picture was Sunday. I brought her inside on Saturday night. She was standing way more than she is now. Now when she tries to stand she flips around everywhere.
**where did you get b12 paste? I might should add that to all the things**
Aww, she has a nice setup! I've saw that video when I was trying to figure out what was wrong with my girl! That video has so much great info. I've got the B Complex paste from Durvet, I believe you can buy it from Tractor Supply but the closest one to me is an hour so I bought it from Amazon a few months back. I work in the medical field too! Surgical tech! I've got a work from home job now with a medical company though so I've got my girl in my office with me.

Also, last night I have yet another hen that is stumbling around. It seems to be the ones that I have hatched. This is so stressful. If I did not spend money on a coop and run I would just be done with it.

Back
Top Bottom