Pullet Stumbling

Whittehitt

In the Brooder
Jun 6, 2022
Need some help for a young pullet who has recently lost her ability to walk and is stumbling.

I brought home three approx. 8 week old pullets about 2 months ago, I noticed they had blood in their poop so my mind jumped to cocci and I started them on a Corid treatment for a week, then the next week was the follow up preventative dosage (I think that's 1/2 teaspoon per gallon). All was fine for awhile (maybe a little less than a month) but then I noticed blood in their poop again. I'm not sure if it was all 3 of them or just one, but I got them on another round of Corid.

I'm thinking the Corid is to blame and this pullet is now having trouble walking because of not having enough thiamine. That's just a guess of course. 2 days ago I noticed her closing her eyes and acting sluggish, yesterday she was stumbling when walking and falling forward, today she is still struggling to walk. Appetite is good, I've tried to give her eggs but she's not a fan, I've given her brown rice and she likes that (another good thiamine food), other than that she loves her layer crumble. I've given her Nurtri Drench - poured about a ml or so on her food, maybe 2x/day. She has Nutri Drench or Poultry Cell water. No other symptoms I can see, physical ones, so I don't believe she was hurt. No twitching, no twisted neck/wry neck, no seizures, legs look fine, no blood, no mites/lice, vent is fine. She's a young Bielefelder, who are known for being calm, and she's been super calm since we got her now that I think about it so maybe she was sick to begin with.

Any other ideas for her? If it was a thiamine deficiency shouldn't the Nutri Drench have helped by now/a day and a half of it? I've read that stuff works fast! Of course Marek's is on my mind as well. This all happened at the very end of a week of Corid treatments though, it was day 7 of the treatment when I was about to put them on the preventative dose for another week when she started having trouble walking. So that's my best guess at this moment.

***Also need to add she is separated of course, she's in a kennel in their coop. She's not the most social chicken so I figured bringing her inside with me would stress her out more, she's still unsure of humans.

Last edited:
I have a chicken in a similar situation, but we did the corid over a month ago. I'm curious if you figured anything out here! Did your pullet pull through?

I have a chicken in a similar situation, but we did the corid over a month ago. I'm curious if you figured anything out here! Did your pullet pull through?
Oh no sorry to hear that! I have not, I posted this less than an hour ago

I've given her Nurtri Drench - poured about a ml or so on her food, maybe 2x/day. She has Nutri Drench or Poultry Cell water. No other symptoms I can see, physical ones, so I don't believe she was hurt. No twitching, no twisted neck/wry neck, no seizures, legs look fine, no blood, no mites/lice, vent is fine.
Can you get video of her movements?
Upload video to youtube and provide a link.

Photos of her and her poop if video is not an option.

Direct oral dose of PND or Poultry Cell is 1cc per 3 pounds of weight. If she will willing eat the food with the vitamins added, then so be it, but I've yet to have birds willingly eat it.

At her age, Marek's disease is a possibility as well.

Can you get video of her movements?
Upload video to youtube and provide a link.

Photos of her and her poop if video is not an option.

Direct oral dose of PND or Poultry Cell is 1cc per 3 pounds of weight. If she will willing eat the food with the vitamins added, then so be it, but I've yet to have birds willingly eat it.

At her age, Marek's disease is a possibility as well.
Thank you! I'll try to get a video later today, just gave her some Nutri Drench orally so she's a bit tired at the moment. I'll try to get her to move later today. Poop looks fine, solid, normal color. She looked worse this morning than yesterday, closing her eyes and laying on her side. I tried to very slowly and over the period of a few minutes get some Nutri Drench in her but she wasn't really swallowing. She just had her mouth open. Not feeling very hopeful

How is she doing now?
Thanks for checking in! We ran out last night and got her all flock feed, some vitamin e, sunflower seeds, fresh spinach - just some basic vitamin rich foods for her to try. She didn't like anything except the sunflower seeds, she doesn't like eggs unfortunately but I was thinking of maybe trying to boil one tonight to see if that makes a difference. I don't believe she is too interested in drinking - any recommendations for that? I bought watermelon but she doesn't like that either 😕 I put sunflower kernels in her water and she drank water while trying to get to those. This morning she got 2ml of Poultry Cell via syringe. She's just staying in one spot now, not moving or trying to move. I found out this morning that giving her the Poultry Cell takes a lot out of her (since it's stressful), so I need to encourage her to eat/drink first while she has energy and then give the Poultry Cell last so she can rest after.

I'm sorry she's not improving much:(
Aw, thank you! At this point after watching Marek's videos all morning I'm leaning toward that. She eats, sorta. Not too interested in water. I also messaged the farm I got her from yesterday and they told me "they do not vaccinate against Marek's at this time"... so that's my fault for not doing more research before bringing them home. I bought her and two other pullets to bring home to my single 2.5 year old hen.

Aw, thank you! At this point after watching Marek's videos all morning I'm leaning toward that. She eats, sorta. Not too interested in water. I also messaged the farm I got her from yesterday and they told me "they do not vaccinate against Marek's at this time"... so that's my fault for not doing more research before bringing them home. I bought her and two other pullets to bring home to my single 2.5 year old hen.
Could be Marek's disease, hard to know unless you lose her and have testing done.

The vaccine does not prevent infection from the disease and birds can still get sick. It can help slow the formation of tumors.

Back
Top Bottom