Stumbling, weak, pale comb

Layniep3

Chirping
May 10, 2020
I discovered one of my chickens to be stumbling, weak, thin, and has an extremely dry, pale comb. I don’t feel a hard mass in her abdomen so I don’t think she’s egg bound but I lubed her vent anyway. I gave her a few syringes of an electrolyte mix and she is now furiously eating a slurry of her food. She has ample access to her food every day and is one of the more dominant in her flock, so I don’t think she has been without food. What could be wrong and how can I help her?! I’m bringing her inside for the night to keep her warm and off the ground, and so I can encourage fluids. Anything else I can do overnight?
IMG_0615.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0613.jpeg
    IMG_0613.jpeg
    333.4 KB · Views: 1
I'm sorry to hear that. Whats her age and diet?
She was hatched march 21,2020. She eats purina laying pellets and gets supplemental veggies, eggs, and occasional baked chicken. I work at a hospital and will bring home unwanted plain chicken meat for them. They haven’t been able to free range the last month due to a very tenacious hawk.

She was hatched march 21,2020. She eats purina laying pellets and gets supplemental veggies, eggs, and occasional baked chicken. I work at a hospital and will bring home unwanted plain chicken meat for them. They haven’t been able to free range the last month due to a very tenacious hawk.
Is she pooping at all? Does it look normal?
Warm water with an egg yolk, a pinch of salt and a tsp of sugar is good perk up

She pooped a tiny bit. It’s hard to tell if it’s abnormal, but nothing is blatantly wrong with it. She ate a large fistful of chicken pellets that were made into a slurry and half a scrambled egg with oregano.

She pooped a tiny bit. It’s hard to tell if it’s abnormal, but nothing is blatantly wrong with it. She ate a large fistful of chicken pellets that were made into a slurry and half a scrambled egg with oregano.
Nix the oregano, there's not enough oils in fresh or dry to help anything and too much can be caustic. Maybe she's just undernourished

She had a giant poop this morning. It was a little dry but normal coloring. And she ate a little more and had a few more syringes of water.

Update: The vet suspects an ovarian mass that is pressing on a nerve, causing lameness in her leg. She is still eating like a horse, so we're going to try anti-inflammatories and palliative care until she is no longer comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom