BCMaran

MAT10

In the Brooder
Aug 25, 2023
Utah
9 month old Black Copper Maran layed yesterday. Usually lays mostly every day but sometimes skips a day. Found this morning sitting alone with puffed feathers. Reluctant to move. Not drinking or eating all day. Acute onset. Was fine yesterday. Last poop was runny but no blood.

Tried a dose of Nutri-Drench then moved to Corid treatment. Comb has a purplish cast on edges which normalized within 30 minutes of Corid dose.

Dosed her this afternoon & again tonight. 3 drops directly.
Have added to drinking water in case of coccidiosis...

She roosted normally.

Thoughts?

Did she finally lay an egg today and start feeling better?

If you are going to treat for Coccidiosis with Corid, then omit the Poultry Nutri-Drench.

If she's not better, feel inside her vent for an egg. She may also benefit from extra Calcium for a few days. You can find Calcium Citrate with D3 in the vitamin aisle of stores like Walmart, CVS, etc. Give 1 tablet daily, just pull down on her wattles, pop the tablet into the beak and let her swallow.

Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.

Did she finally lay an egg today and start feeling better?

If you are going to treat for Coccidiosis with Corid, then omit the Poultry Nutri-Drench.

If she's not better, feel inside her vent for an egg. She may also benefit from extra Calcium for a few days. You can find Calcium Citrate with D3 in the vitamin aisle of stores like Walmart, CVS, etc. Give 1 tablet daily, just pull down on her wattles, pop the tablet into the beak and let her swallow.

Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.
No egg today. I gave only the one dose if Nutri-Drench then switched to the Corid treatment. Her vent looks fine.

I'm a new chicken keeper. All my hens have free choice/access to oyster shells. Now that you mention this, I did also clean out a nesting box with a freshly broken egg. (Same time as when I noticed her) Wet & only yolk coloring remained. No signs of a shell. Unsure who layed. It's possible it was hers...I don't know.

She is such a sweetheart & has always vocalized kind of a cooing in my presence but that has stopped, too. She definitely doesn't feel good. I have a call that she comes to also, but not now. Makes me sad.😔

Will have to wait for morning now & check on her again. I take that Calcium Citrate with D3 myself for Osteoporosis. Seems like a BIG pill to pop in her beak. 🤔

Also, I don't know how to check for an egg. 😱 🙈

No egg today. I gave only the one dose if Nutri-Drench then switched to the Corid treatment. Her vent looks fine.

I'm a new chicken keeper. All my hens have free choice/access to oyster shells. Now that you mention this, I did also clean out a nesting box with a freshly broken egg. (Same time as when I noticed her) Wet & only yolk coloring remained. No signs of a shell. Unsure who layed. It's possible it was hers...I don't know.

She is such a sweetheart & has always vocalized kind of a cooing in my presence but that has stopped, too. She definitely doesn't feel good. I have a call that she comes to also, but not now. Makes me sad.😔

Will have to wait for morning now & check on her again. I take that Calcium Citrate with D3 myself for Osteoporosis. Seems like a BIG pill to pop in her beak. 🤔

Also, I don't know how to check for an egg. 😱 🙈
Update: Checked in on my Black Copper Maran (Mara) this morning. Found her sitting on the run perch (a place a little more removed from the flock)...still not doing well. However, her comb looka more normal today....no purpling- now a bright red.

Q. Now that I have put Corid in their drinker, is it okay to continue direct dosing for her? I still dont think she is drinking or eating. I have a PVC drinker with ACV...does it need to be removed? The drinker with Corid is a 3 gal. heated galvanizedd for winter.

What more can I do??? Should I syringe electolyte water to her & how is that done?

My hens have a toy cylinder filled with black soldier flies & black oil sunflower seeds to peck at. I am also sprouting lentils & wheat for them.
Their provided dustbath is combined sand, wood ash & dirt.
Coop floor & run is course sand; Nesting boxes are filled with straw & herbs & poultry dust, changed out monthly (or as needed if sooner)
Dropping board is sand & cleaned 3x weekly. I have 10 birds.
I try really hard to keep the environment super clean for them. I am so frustrated as there are other problems with other hens as well.
PLEASE help!
1119231028_HDR.jpg
1119231028b_HDR.jpg
1119231027a.jpg

Last edited:
Now that you mention this, I did also clean out a nesting box with a freshly broken egg. (Same time as when I noticed her) Wet & only yolk coloring remained. No signs of a shell.
I'd start the Calcium asap, just pop the pill into her beak, she'll swallow it.
Hard to know if she's having trouble with a soft shelled egg or ...

Also, I don't know how to check for an egg.
To check for an egg, feel inside the vent about 1-2inches, you will feel an egg, if she's pooping she's not bound, but may be having trouble expelling a soft shelled egg or she may have even had a membrane break if you found wet and yolk in the bedding, other hens will quickly eat the membranes so you likely won't see that.
Now that I have put Corid in their drinker, is it okay to continue direct dosing for her? I still dont think she is drinking or eating. I have a PVC drinker with ACV...does it need to be removed? The drinker with Corid is a 3 gal. heated galvanizedd for winter.
You can still give her an undiluted oral dose of Liquid Corid 2X daily at a rate of 0.10ml per pound of weight in addition to her drinking the mixed Corid water.
I wouldn't give electrolytes or any other additives to her, just see that she's drinking the mixed Corid water, if she isn't then syringe that into her several times a day to keep her hydrated.

Can you get a photo of her right eye?

I'm sorry you're having troubles with the others. What are you seeing?

Thank you everyone. I am happy to announce that as of 2 days ago my BCM 'Mara' is back to herself. No calcium pill, just the Corid & Xtra luvs, BUT.... I have concluded that she maybe just ate something she shouldn't have. All is well for now. "Grateful"
Pretty sure the shelless eggs was my WLH. Better now

My BO is 'taking a break' 😂, I guess & my 9 month Black Australorp is off lay ??? along with my molting EE. My molting WLH, RIR, & LO which by the way, are ALL still laying..... Regularly 🤷
I have a sassy temperamental Red Sexlink that is very stubborn. One minute she pecks me aggressively with a charge & gets the boot; next time she jumps on my knee for loves& attention...then pecks me on her way out. She's got my Shih Tzu on the run & now fearful of all the flock, whereas before her, he mingled just fine but she lays faithfully every day. Poor little guy. He's as sweet as my Salmon Faverolle.

Chickens! 😲😳

Back
Top Bottom