Old hen high-stepping and stumbling

Will she eat mushy wet chicken feed or egg?
She only picks at food. I gave her wet chicken feed and she pecked at it like five times and she was done. Haven't tried eggs because my other hens aren't laying much. Outside she ate some weeds and a lot of snow. :idunno

She was up on the roost with her chicken friends this evening before I took her inside for the night. I hope that is a sign that she's feeling better. And I hope the Meloxicam solution works!!

Update on Toasty: I've been letting her out with the other hens during the daytime after I give her her Meloxicam solution. I want to say she seems to be walking better but it's only a very slight improvement in her balance. I have noticed her standing more on her own. She eats more when she's outside and her crop is filling and emptying.

When I palpate her legs and feet she only flinches if I squeeze (lightly) her front toes. Squeezing her hocks, shanks, foot pads, or other toes doesn't seem to bother her.

Last edited:
Toasty is still high-stepping but is relatively perky for not being able to walk very well. I moved her outside a couple days ago and I have her sleep in a crate in the barn at night so she doesn't try to jump off the roost in the morning and hurt herself even more. I've been monitoring her crop closely and it's been filling so she is able to get to the feed. I've been continuing the Poultry Cell and Meloxicam daily but I can't tell if it's helping.

One concerning thing I've noticed is her feathers are very easy to pull out. What does that mean?

So it's been about 3 months and Toasty Bernice continues to look about the same. I can't tell if her legs and feet have gotten more swollen or not. She lays down in the barn most of the time and only gets up to eat, drink, and roost. She is no longer the top hen, but she's not being bullied. In fact the other hens seem to be trying to help her and give her company. I've been struggling with the decision to put her down. It must be painful to walk if she prefers to sit down all day, but at the same time she is still perky and can still get to where she wants to be. What would you do in this situation?

@azygous @Wyorp Rock

I've been in this situation. I had an EE hen that went completely lame. Yet she remained perky and interested in flock life for two years, at which point she went downhill fast and I euthanized her.

But for those two years, she was a special needs chicken. She slept in a basket in the garage, and I carried her out to the run every morning where she spent the day in a protected section of the run so she wouldn't be picked on. She even shared her enclosure with some baby chicks I brooded in the run, and she had a place to lay her eggs.

If you are up to the special care required, then know that many of us do extend special care and you wouldn't be crazy to do it. When the hen becomes steadily worse and life ceases to be pleasant, then is when you will want to consider euthanizing her.

I've been in this situation. I had an EE hen that went completely lame. Yet she remained perky and interested in flock life for two years, at which point she went downhill fast and I euthanized her.

But for those two years, she was a special needs chicken. She slept in a basket in the garage, and I carried her out to the run every morning where she spent the day in a protected section of the run so she wouldn't be picked on. She even shared her enclosure with some baby chicks I brooded in the run, and she had a place to lay her eggs.

If you are up to the special care required, then know that many of us do extend special care and you wouldn't be crazy to do it. When the hen becomes steadily worse and life ceases to be pleasant, then is when you will want to consider euthanizing her.
Thank you so much. You are an amazing chicken parent. I've said that if Toasty stops eating and moving around on her own then I will let her go. But now I wonder if I'm prolonging her pain. It looks like gout or arthritis which would be painful. But is it constant pain even when she's lying down? That's what I'm struggling with.

Back
Top Bottom