Pullet with a leg injury

nettlesandrose

Chirping
Jan 5, 2022
I have a pullet about 8 weeks old.

She was in an enclosure with her siblings and seemed fine. Two days ago I found her puffed up and struggling to walk. She appears to have an issue with one leg.

On palpation it feels warmer than the other side. She does not flinch or fight when I move it or touch it. There are no obvious wounds.

I have her in a small crate with food, water, B vitamins. I am looking up dosage for Motrin/Ibuprofen, as we don’t have aspirin.

She has been vaccinated. Her leg is not paralyzed like I have seen in birds with Mareks.

Any ideas?

Please excuse the mess in the picture, this photo was taken right before cleanup.

08EB6D7A-5E68-4655-8864-F6FDBC7F2BB2.jpeg
1172247A-A299-43AF-8187-A022E642441A.jpeg

It may be early stage Marek's. If it is, the lameness will progress to paralysis over the next couple months.

This may not be Marek's, though, but a vitamin deficiency. Give her B-complex, one tablet each day directly into her beak. It won't hurt to include vitamin E, as well. Within a couple weeks you should see a reversal of the lameness. It there is no reversal, if the lameness gets worse, then you should suspect Marek's or lymphoid leucosis.

It may be early stage Marek's. If it is, the lameness will progress to paralysis over the next couple months.

This may not be Marek's, though, but a vitamin deficiency. Give her B-complex, one tablet each day directly into her beak. It won't hurt to include vitamin E, as well. Within a couple weeks you should see a reversal of the lameness. It there is no reversal, if the lameness gets worse, then you should suspect Marek's or lymphoid leucosis.
Thanks!

I am more suspicious of an injury for three reasons.

One is that they are inside and haven’t gone outside at all since hatching. I know that doesn’t diminish all the risk, but it seems less likely?

Her leg isn’t paralyzed like I’ve seen with viruses. She can still stand and limp on it. It seems to hurt a great deal when she does. The mareks birds I’ve seen haven’t been able to walk.

The other is that she was in a pen with her rowdy brother (since removed). He had a habit of turning the enclosure into a chicken mosh pit. Injury seems likely given his tomfoolery.

Update. She died this morning. I took her to the vet as she deteriorated very quickly. The vet suspects botulism over Mareks. Testing to come.

Sorry for your loss. Usually with botulism the bird has flaccid paralysis of both legs, which progresses up the spinal nerves to the wings and neck, and the breathing muscles become paralyzed. Let us know what the necropsy shows. Most state vets can perform testing along with a necropsy.

we are pursuing testing and formal necropsy.

Unfortunately the disease progression aligns almost perfectly. One day an apparent leg injury. By evening it progressed to the hip. Yesterday evening I thought she was resting peacefully but I’m realizing she was actually having spreading paralysis. Woke up to find labored breathing and we decided to euthanize. Will report back.

Sorry for your loss. Usually with botulism the bird has flaccid paralysis of both legs, which progresses up the spinal nerves to the wings and neck, and the breathing muscles become paralyzed. Let us know what the necropsy shows. Most state vets can perform testing along with a necropsy.
It was botulism

Back
Top Bottom