Pullet with a possible respiratory infection

FrostRanger

Chirping
Oct 3, 2023
I noticed yesterday that one of my pullets, Sage was gasping and sneezing. I separated her last night andthis morning she is still gasping and isn't really eating or drinking. Her crop was empty this morning and I didn't see anything obvious when I looked down her throat yesterday. Her comb is still a bright red and despite sneezing occasionally she has no nasal or eye discharge. She wasn't laying yet to begin with. She also seems to be tilting her head upwards when she inhales if that's relevant and she is lethargic. The soonest I can call the vet is tomorrow but I was wondering if anyone had any idea what's going on and if there's anything I can do in the meantime

What is your general location in the world? I would recheck the inside of her throat for any mucus or yellow/white material inside. Does either eye have any watery or bubbly discharge or any swelling around the eyelids? Have you wormed her recently? Does her head movement look like star gazing? Will she drink water if you hold some up to her beak? How often is she sneezing?

I am in the eastern us, she has no discharge and I see no mucous or anything in her throat. Her face isn't swollen anywhere either. She has not been wormed yet and her sneezing is only occasionally. Her head movement is kinda like bobbing, she tilts it up a bit when inhaling and it goes back to its usual position when she exhales. She will drink if I bring water to her beak

I would make some wet chicken feed mixed with water, and add some bits of scrambled egg to encourage eating. But water is most important. Have you added any new birds recently. Viruses such as infectious bronchitis can cause sneezing without other symptoms. It usually affects more than one chicken though. Something in the environment might be making her sneeze, and make sure there is plenty of coop ventilation. Sometimes a speck of feed can get stuck into the nostrils and irritate them.

No new birds, I got her and my other 3 at the same time from tractor supply back in June and the others are their usual energetic selves. That's a good idea with the scrambled eggs, I'll make her some along with some wet feed. I hope it is just a speck of something stuck somewhere, she may be my most skittish, but she's still a very good bird. Thank you for your advice!

I would also like to clarify that while she only sneezes occasionally, she is gasping and wheezing constantly

Is her crop emptying overnight? Gasping and wheezing are not good signs. How is her comb color? Does she seem heavy under her vent, as though she might have water belly?

I checked that this morning by keeping her inside overnight, her crop was empty this morning. Her comb is a deep dark red. Her abdomen feels normal

I also incidentally don't see any dropping in her bedding even though she's been in her crate for about 22 hours

Back
Top Bottom