Pullet with a possible respiratory infection

So here's an update
I saw that she was drinking her water so she is drinking at least. I gave her a scrambled egg and while I had to hand feed her, she did seem to perk up a tiny bit after I fed her. She is also pooping today although it's loose and yellow and I saw bits of undigested leaf - or so I assume as the only green thing they ate recently was some leaves I gave them Saturday. I have a feeder filled with grit for them but I almost wonder if Sage didn't realize there was grit in there even though I've seen everyone else use it. In any case she has grit in her crate and she has consumed some. For now I will keep her separated so I can make sure she is eating and drinking and I'll continue hand feeding her and maybe see about getting her dewormed when I get paid Wednesday in case that helps - I think everyone is overdue for a deworming anyways

I shall, as long as she has fight I'll keep fighting for her - thankfully this one has attitude to spare! 😂

Unfortunately she did pass earlier today. My state's poultry extension offers necropsies for free so imma send her in. Thank you @Eggcessive for your help even though she didn't make it

Sorry that you lost her. The body should be wrapped in clean garbage bags, and refrigerated or kept open a cooler with ice packs. Do not freeze it. Let us know if you will, what the necropsy shows.

So I have the preliminary report back. They are still waiting on some tests to come back, but they think she died from wet fowl pox. Given that one of the other girls had a bump above her beak that I wrote off to random injury about 2 weeks ago (she was otherwise behaving normally) and in the last few days another one of my girls has developed bumps on her comb and wattles this seems to make sense. I'm just grateful the others have the dry form. At this point I'll just keep an eye on everyone and give them stuff to help boost their immune systems. I'll also vaccinate any future chicks I get since I now know it's in my area and we get tons of mosquitoes throughout most of the year. Thank you again for your help @Eggcessive!

Thank you for the update. It is interesting that she might have died of wet fowl pox. It is more deadly than the dry form. If anything more comes back from the state vet lab, let us know.

OK, I got the final report today and it was a severe case of wet pox with some pneumonia as well. One of my other girls, Rosemary is working through the disease but thankfully she is nowhere near as sick as Sage was and she seems to be recovering well. Her scabs have healed already and her voice is starting to come back after dealing with the wet form. She refuses to let me look in her mouth but while she does sound a little congested she isn't gasping and she is eating, drinking and foraging as usual and since she wasn't sick enough where I had to step in and everyone has been exposed anyways, I saw no benefit in separating her so she has remained with the flock.
Thanks again and Ms. Rosemary and the other girls say hi :3

Back
Top Bottom