Pullet with broody hen

Jjdesmo11

Songster
6 Years
Jun 1, 2017
Tennessee
Would it be a disaster to put a 3 month old serama hen with a broody bantam hen. I’m rehoming a serama cockerel but can’t give up my sweet serama pullet. I plan to add her to my bantam flock in the future but trying to avoid stressing her too much and I wait till my birds are older to put on soil. I also have a broody bantam Cochin hen sitting on eggs who I plan to relocate to a smaller “prefab” coop ( she’s currently in with the bantam flock) would this be a recipe for disaster for my pullet? Thanks

Attachments

• C702C11A-57E9-4F9C-95A4-B4BAB8E12CD1.jpeg
    C702C11A-57E9-4F9C-95A4-B4BAB8E12CD1.jpeg
    315.9 KB · Views: 17
Would it be a disaster to put a 3 month old serama hen with a broody bantam hen. I’m rehoming a serama cockerel but can’t give up my sweet serama pullet. I plan to add her to my bantam flock in the future but trying to avoid stressing her too much and I wait till my birds are older to put on soil. I also have a broody bantam Cochin hen sitting on eggs who I plan to relocate to a smaller “prefab” coop ( she’s currently in with the bantam flock) would this be a recipe for disaster for my pullet? Thanks
No, that wouldn't work -- a broody hen will only accept fluffy little chicks. Your Serama girl is a few months too old and is too big for it to work, unfortunately.

No, that wouldn't work -- a broody hen will only accept fluffy little chicks. Your Serama girl is a few months too old and is too big for it to work, unfortunately.
Thanks for your response I know that though. I mean so my 3 month old pullet isn’t in a coop alone so as company for her. As long as she wouldn’t attack the chicks that hatch.

I mean so my 3 month old pullet isn’t in a coop alone so as company for her. As long as she wouldn’t attack the chicks that hatch.
The broody would not be happy with a 'strange' bird in her space, it may even break her broodiness.

I plan to add her to my bantam flock in the future but trying to avoid stressing her too much and I wait till my birds are older to put on soil.
How old are these birds..and where do they reside now?
I'd start integrating the serama and the bantams now by putting them in separate but adjacent enclosures.

The broody would not be happy with a 'strange' bird in her space, it may even break her broodiness.

How old are these birds..and where do they reside now?
I'd start integrating the serama and the bantams now by putting them in separate but adjacent enclosures.
Oh no I definitely don’t want that. They do not currently reside in the same coop. The broody is about a yr old and pullet about 3 months. Trying to avoid getting a friend for her 😀

Back
Top Bottom