Pullet with cross beak

TxChiknRanchers

Songster
12 Years
Aug 18, 2007
Southeast Texas
We have a young EE pullet about 3 or 4 months old that has always had a cross beak to some degree.
It seems to be caused by the upper beak hooking down and forcing the lower "jaw" over to the side. When I raise her upper the lower will straighten. She seems to be getting worse, and always hitting the feeder, so I asume she is not getting the feed she needs. She has good size comparatively speaking, she just seems to have to work harder to feed than her siblings.

Could we trim or file the upper( a wee bit) to allow the lower to straighten? And if so does anyone have an idea how to! I thought of a dremel tool with a little grinder wheel but not sure if it will work.
Suggestions?
Thanks, Randy

Randy,
I have an EE ( Grady) that was born with a crossed beak also. She is one of my sweetest, favoite girls. It showed up more prominent when she was about 3 1/2 - 4 months old. It sounds like the same thing, with the upper beak crossing over the lower beak. In one of my chicken books had directions about filing the beak. I'll have to find the book and see what it says again. We just used a reg heavy duty finger nail file and finger nail clippers. We only clipped a little at a time making sure we didn't go into live tissue. Just have someone hold them and one file and clip. It helped soooooo much. We were so worried about her, but she has really adapted. She is a very healthy weight and even lays eggs. She was soar after the manipulations. She needs it done again. I want someone else to do it so she won't associate me with the pain. I bet the dremel tool would work great. I was thinking of using one of them for their toe nails.

Oh yea, Grady has to work twice as hard to eat also. Grady was hatched on April 11th and she is almost 8 months old now and thriving!

Bluemoon had to do it to one of her roos. She was agressive, but had great sucess with the out come.

Calling Bluemoon to help.

Thanks very much Smitty,
I had decided to do something and wanted to run it past the gang. It is so ironic that you mentioned how sweet your Grady is. Ours is just the friendliest pullet we have, she will come and sit by you on the porch swing and eat out of your hand. I think she is always hungry!

Quote:
Good luck! I was really nervous about doing it. I really dread tackling the job again. Let me know how it turns out and what process you end up using.

I have 5 EE that of course was labled as Arucana/Ameraucana. They are all so personable. They remind me of kitty cats. About 2-3 out of the 5 will demand attention. Grady acts the same way as your pullet ...... always hungry. She comes running to the feeder. She seems to eat all day. I worry about her eating to much. She was always smaller than her siblings, but has gained weight nicely after we worked on her beak.

Back
Top Bottom