Pullet with dying middle toe

Coachmagurck

In the Brooder
Sep 1, 2023
Hi all,
I have a pullet, about 13 weeks, who got a scratch maybe 5 weeks ago on her middle toe. I was out of town at the time, took her to a vet when I could but it got too expensive. Her toe is necrotic, vet confirmed and were preparing for the eventual sloughing off of the toe, but I’m obviously concerned.
Long story for my question: does anyone have any chickens missing the entirety of their middle toe? I have been researching since it happened and I have not found anyone with a similar story. I’m prepared for her having a handicap, Guillaume is an amazingly sweet girl and I’ll give her all the help she needs. Does anyone have experience with a chicken missing the middle toe? Or waiting for an entire toe to fall off?

does anyone have any chickens missing the entirety of their middle toe? I have been researching since it happened and I have not found anyone with a similar story.

There are various threads and articles about chickens losing toes or entire feet to frostbite. Yours is obviously not frostbite, but the way a toes dies and falls off may be similar.

Here is one article that talks about a hen who lost both feet. There are several photos of the feet during the weeks that they were dying and finally coming off:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...to-know-about-injury-care-and-recovery.78168/

I’m prepared for her having a handicap, Guillaume is an amazingly sweet girl and I’ll give her all the help she needs. Does anyone have experience with a chicken missing the middle toe? Or waiting for an entire toe to fall off?

Since your pullet is only going to lose one toe, I think she will probably have a fairly normal life after it comes off. She should be able to walk, perch, scratch in the dirt, forage, and so forth. She will probably not seem much handicapped.

My chick is missing a toe, she came to me with it like that from the store I'm guessing from shipping burn it eventually fell off and she's perfectly fine. This was her toe it's gone now and she's much bigger lol
IMG_20230901_110144.jpg

Long story for my question: does anyone have any chickens missing the entirety of their middle toe? I have been researching since it happened and I have not found anyone with a similar story. I’m prepared for her having a handicap, Guillaume is an amazingly sweet girl and I’ll give her all the help she needs. Does anyone have experience with a chicken missing the middle toe? Or waiting for an entire toe to fall off?
No, but I think that she'll be fine. It's not a major injury, it just might make her lopsided for a few days. It's better to get rid of the toe than let it get worse. It shouldn't handicap her, she'll be fine. :)

There are various threads and articles about chickens losing toes or entire feet to frostbite. Yours is obviously not frostbite, but the way a toes dies and falls off may be similar.

Here is one article that talks about a hen who lost both feet. There are several photos of the feet during the weeks that they were dying and finally coming off:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...to-know-about-injury-care-and-recovery.78168/

Since your pullet is only going to lose one toe, I think she will probably have a fairly normal life after it comes off. She should be able to walk, perch, scratch in the dirt, forage, and so forth. She will probably not seem much handicapped.
Thank you, this was helpful to see!

Back
Top Bottom