Pullet with glazed, swollen shut eyes

Davistucker

In the Brooder
Mar 5, 2021
My six week old pullet has closed over, puffy eyes. I have been keeping her hydrated and feeding her but I’m not sure if anyone knows what might be going on. I have also used diatomaceous earth to make sure it’s not mites.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 14FE7990-BD0D-4E92-AF32-F435824BEA07.jpeg
    14FE7990-BD0D-4E92-AF32-F435824BEA07.jpeg
    410.5 KB · Views: 15
Possibly eye infection or injury. she could also be sick and have some sort of discharge that dried out. Try to open her eyes a bit and gently clean out her eyelids.

My six week old pullet has closed over, puffy eyes. I have been keeping her hydrated and feeding her but I’m not sure if anyone knows what might be going on. I have also used diatomaceous earth to make sure it’s not mites.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
She is very sick. Is a vet visit an option?
How long have you had her?
Where did she come from?

Is there also nasal discharge as well? It looks like dried eye drainage or pus, and those symptoms can be from a respiratory disease such as mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) or coryza. Is there a bad odor from the head? Could she have been pecked in the eye? Take a warm wet wash cloth wrung out and hold it over her eye for a few minutes, then try to wipe off any goo or crust. Try to open her eye and look for bubbles, foam, or pus. Terramycin eye ointment can be applied twice a day to the eye after cleaning it.

Have you ever had a chicken in your flock with a respiratory disease? It can take 2-10 days after exposure for some respiratory disease symptoms to show up after exposure. Also MG is one that can pass through hatching eggs. Wild birds or tracking in bacteria from other flocks or feed stores are other ways for them to get exposed. I would quarantine her frommyour other chickens. Tylosin powder in the wster for 5 days can treat MG symptoms, but she may be a carrier for life. Here is where to order it online:
https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/

Do not use DE. It irritates eyes and breathing.

Is there also nasal discharge as well? It looks like dried eye drainage or pus, and those symptoms can be from a respiratory disease such as mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) or coryza. Is there a bad odor from the head? Could she have been pecked in the eye? Take a warm wet wash cloth wrung out and hold it over her eye for a few minutes, then try to wipe off any goo or crust. Try to open her eye and look for bubbles, foam, or pus. Terramycin eye ointment can be applied twice a day to the eye after cleaning it.

Have you ever had a chicken in your flock with a respiratory disease? It can take 2-10 days after exposure for some respiratory disease symptoms to show up after exposure. Also MG is one that can pass through hatching eggs. Wild birds or tracking in bacteria from other flocks or feed stores are other ways for them to get exposed. I would quarantine her frommyour other chickens. Tylosin powder in the wster for 5 days can treat MG symptoms, but she may be a carrier for life. Here is where to order it online:
https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/

Do not use DE. It irritates eyes and breathing.
Thanks for all that’ll of that information. It appears it is MG or Croyza as the other chick is now exhibiting nasal discharge and a bit of foam from her mouth. No smell but Is that always present? I’ll purchase the Tysolin. Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom