Pullet with Green Feathers?

karenmragan

Songster
Jul 12, 2019
Grand Junction, CO
Hello, everyone!
Another very confused Karen here as my own perceived knowledge of chickens has been questioned.
The Backstory: I had a Rhode Island Red who was ~5 months old that was very late in showing it's sex. Finally, he began producing the telltale sheen and pointed green neck feathers of the typical male Rhode Island. I also noticed the wattles and comb becoming larger and redder than my other pullet. Unfortunately for him, that meant he had to become dinner. Well, I discovered yolks in this "guy", and I know what these things look like because I have gutted a hen before.
So in conclusion; is this a normal phenomena or what? Can young chickens change gender? Please help me solve this mystery!

Any pure black feathers can have a green sheen in the sun, it is not a definitive way to sex a chicken. Every bird has different sized combs and wattles, and while the age of they develop can point you towards male or female, this on its own also is not a definitive way to sex a chicken. It's hard to say. There is also a possibility that the chicken is a hermaphrodite and has both male and female sex organs and traits.

Back
Top Bottom