Pullet woes

ChickenMamaC

Songster
5 Years
Jun 6, 2018
Rose Valley, WA
Good morning. I have two issues with my young pullets that I have never experienced with my older flock. One, a brand new layer is laying in the bushes instead of in the nesting box. The older gals are not laying right now due to molting, with one exception. I also have a fake egg in the nesting box to guide her. Should I keep her in the run for a couple days to dissuade this?
Secondly, my little silver spangled hamburg will NOT go in to roost with the others at night. I have to pluck her off the top of the coop every night. My lowest-ranking hen IS harassing her and the other two pullets, but they do go in to roost regardless. How can I get her to go in on her own?

Can you provide more roost space so that the harassed birds can get away from the hen working on assuring her position? Is there bedding in the nest box along with the nest egg? It may be necessary to lock the pullet in the coop/run until she gets the idea.

Can you provide more roost space so that the harassed birds can get away from the hen working on assuring her position? Is there bedding in the nest box along with the nest egg? It may be necessary to lock the pullet in the coop/run until she gets the idea.
Yes, we already added an extra roosting bar and there seems to be plenty of room. The other two pullets go in there just fine.

sounds like theyre just young and/or a smaller breed and are getting beat up .. i wouldnt want to go in there either ... i had a batam once of some breed i dunno what, but it was given to me by a neighbor that got it for their kid at a fair or somthing so i took it ... my rocks tortured that poor thing and it 'would' run into the coop in the evening to dart in between legs and jump over and everything else to eat, but it eventually roosted in the trees, so i just let it .. it made a nest out by the road under an overgrown cedar and i picked up the eggs every now and then, but it just was never going to be a part of the flock .. the positive thing was that little chicken could run at least 70mph lol, and not even hawks could catch it lol .. eventually, of all things another neighbor came over huffing and puffing that it was eating his grasss seed and wanted me to remkove and confine it .. im like theres no way that little bantam is destroying your dam yard but it cant be caught .. so he shot it ... nothing really i could do ... 'that guy' is gone now though thank God .. anyway long story .. but maybe your birds are getting bigger and can integrate eventually .. until then you my need to construct or partition off a different area for them ..

Back
Top Bottom