Pullets and Cockerels

Ajd1126

In the Brooder
May 24, 2020
Hi! So, I’m getting 3 2 month old cockerels and 4 5-9 week pullets in the next few weeks. I have a coop set up for them that will eventually become my broody coop. Here’s my questions:
First, is it ok to put the cockerels and pullets together? I ordered the pullets from a hatchery and the cockerels are an unexpected gift from a friend. I’m mostly concerned about size difference.
Second, can I move the cockerels over to my main coop that already has a rooster in it when they are large enough? He’s already shown he’s aggressive towards other birds and my intention is to eat him once these Roos are mature, I’m just trying to get a mental timeline together of when I might need to do this.
Third question, I have a battered white hen. She was beaten up by the current roo, hence why I am planning to say goodbye to him as soon as these other Roos are ready. He is a good rooster to HIS ladies, but for whatever reason decided he didn’t want to have this white hen around. Will she be ok with the pullets and cockerels? She’s all by herself in the pen I’m planning to raise all the others in right now.
Ok, that was lengthy, thank you in advanced for your help.

Why so many males? Are you going to keep all of them or just choose the nicest one, when they get old enough that is. Or are you only breeding certain breeds in pairs? The male to female ratio is not good. Males will fight and hens can get torn up by overmating.

Why so many males? Are you going to keep all of them or just choose the nicest one, when they get old enough that is. Or are you only breeding certain breeds in pairs? The male to female ratio is not good. Males will fight and hens can get torn up by overmating.
The intention is to choose one or two depending on their temperament with us, the hens and each other. They have been raised together and from what I’ve read, they may be ok being together as adults. I realize this is likely wishful thinking, they’re all orpingtons, so I might just get lucky. I also already have 5 hens in addition to the 4 pullets I am getting.

The intention is to choose one or two depending on their temperament with us, the hens and each other. They have been raised together and from what I’ve read, they may be ok being together as adults. I realize this is likely wishful thinking, they’re all orpingtons, so I might just get lucky. I also already have 5 hens in addition to the 4 pullets I am getting.
I love Orpingtons! I have a Buff hen named Priscilla. She is fat and sassy and I love her to pieces. I have 2 males (picked out randomly by accident with other females) and have a total of a total of 14 females for them to "share". They are bantams tho. They still fight every now and again but for the most part they are ok together. Not everybody is so lucky. I hope everything works out for you!

I love Orpingtons! I have a Buff hen named Priscilla. She is fat and sassy and I love her to pieces. I have 2 males (picked out randomly by accident with other females) and have a total of a total of 14 females for them to "share". They are bantams tho. They still fight every now and again but for the most part they are ok together. Not everybody is so lucky. I hope everything works out for you!
I’m expecting scuffles, for sure, but I’m hopeful. I’m getting 2 black Roos and a lavender. All the hens I’m getting are buffs, so I’m intrigued to see what color combos I end up with as we move forward. My plan is to make a self sufficient flock that I can cull yearly, hence the addition of the Roos, but my RIR is a giant jerk wad. He’s nice to us, and seriously a good rooster for his hens, I watched him square off with a raccoon the other day, but I’m so angry with him for my poor leghorn.

Indeed 😂 I’m still new, so easily manipulated. I also plan to butcher whichever I choose not to keep, so it is a gift in the sense of ‘free’ meat.

Back
Top Bottom