Pullets are here - after FOUR days with USPO!!

ssledoux

Songster
12 Years
Mar 14, 2007
I am just totally frustrated. I had that fiasco last week with my meat chicks coming and taking 3 days. I wound up losing 13 out of 32 chicks and it was HORRIBLE!

So, yesterday was day 3 (my chicks shipped from Meyer Hatchery Monday) and still no word. I was in a total panic. When they called this morning, I asked if the chicks were peeping and the postal worker said they were. I rushed to get them, still thinking I would have maybe half, if I was lucky.

Well, out of 37 chicks, I had 2 dead (a leghorn and a RIR), and lost a silkie within an hour. I have a couple of leghorns that are still wobbly, but they are eating and drinking. I have those with the silkies inside and all the others went to the big-girl brooder. They are running around like crazy!

I cannot BELIEVE that these chicks arrived (mostly) alive.

I have Delawares, Australorps, Americaunas, Silkies, and the RIRs and Leghorns I'm raising for an older lady nearby.

All I can say is I'm breathing much easier this morning than I was last night!

Oh wow! They must be some strong young ones! Sorry you had to lose three though
sad.png
Poor things!

I know. I figure these should be some good layers/companions for YEARS to come! I hate to lose any, and this is the first year I ever have. It makes me really leery of ever having any shipped again!

Seems like I've heard way more shipping delays this year than ever before. It's not just the USPS. I work for a major company that ships every way except USPS and all the carriers are having trouble with on time delivery and lost shipments. They've all cut staff and are trying to consolidated shipmetns to save money.

Besides causing me HUGE hassles at work it makes me worry about my fuzzies who are shipping in late April. I'm glad I waited for warmer weather to get them, hopefully that will help if they take more than a day or two.

Unfortunately no one besides the USPS will take live shipments so we dont' have any other choice on carrier.

Next year I'm looking to get turkeys and I am goign to try real hard to find a local source so I won't have to have them shipped.

Back
Top Bottom