Pullets are never going to lay

VyeFye

Songster
Nov 7, 2018
Lancaster, CA
I have 5 pullets - 2 were hatched in early October and are over 20 weeks, 3 were hatched in early November and will be 20 weeks next week and it feels like they are never going to lay. Just looking for some words of encouragement that they will indeed lay soon.
I have a 55 flowery, a crested cream legbar, a barred Plymouth Rock, a Golden Cuckoo Marans and an Easter Egger. All are pullets. The first 3 have VERY bright red combs and wattles and their combs and wattles have become significantly more developed in the last 3 or so weeks. Four of them are squatting and the oldest two have become RIDICULOUSLY noisy and loud. I thought my 55 was practicing the egg song for awhile but now I just think she is making predator alerts all day long for fun.
Vents are getting bigger but don’t look pink or wet yet. They do seem to be dropping bigger poop.
They free range all day but my yard is fairly bare. I don’t believe they have a hidden nest somewhere.
They have had a light on in their coop for the last three weeks. I have been increasing daylight time by an hour per week so right now they are getting I think 14 hours of daylight. I live in Southern California.
Just tired of buying supermarket eggs. Help me please, my chicken friends!

For the most part only production types, like sexlinks and White Leghorns, start laying by 20 weeks, so your girls are right on track for their breeds. They're getting close! Hang in there!

You do know they're doing this just to make you nutz, right?

The only remedy I know is to go out there with an omlette pan in one hand and an axe in the other. Scowl and tell 'em you hope they're getting the point. ...............nah. That doesn't work either.

Wait. Ya just gotta wait. But they can't hold out forever!

Last edited:
You do know they're doing this just to make you nutz, right?

The only remedy I know is to go out there with a frying pan in one hand and an axe in the other. Scowl and tell 'em you hope they're getting the point. ...............nah. That doesn't work either.

Wait. Ya just gotta wait. But they can't hold out forever!
The frying pan won’t work. I raised Cornish cross at the same time as these ladies and I processed in the backyard so everyone saw what was going on.

I have a legbar hatched Sept 10, 2018 who has yet to lay a single egg. The other pullet (same hatch date) has been laying for a few weeks, that one is a white rock.

We had dark brown Leghorns that were 38 weeks and 44 weeks old for first eggs. Third one hadn’t laid by the time we sold them at 45 weeks!

Hopefully, we will get out first blue legbar egg soon!

Back
Top Bottom