Pullets avoid us and seem terrified around us

IronMan834638

In the Brooder
Mar 24, 2023
We currently have 3 cream legbar pullets which are 14 weeks old. We had them indoors until around 8-10 weeks old by which stage they were practically fully feathered out.
Unfortunately they seem extremely skittish and terrified any time we go anywhere remotely near them
Is this just a stage they grow through when growing up or do we have to keep trying to regain trust with them?

Thanks

Ah thanks for your replies. I'm glad it's chicken behaviour and not anything I could have done.

Thanks again
My 3 mo old leghorns were raised in my bedroom 4 weeks and still won't eat out of my hands but come for treats.I may be able to get them to eat out of my hands once they start laying.Flighty breeds dislike being picked up more than calmer breeds.

HappyClucker7 gave good advice. Once I moved my chicks to the coop and then started letting them in the run, I would take a folding chair in the run and sit with them. After a couple of days, one got the nerve to fly up on my knee. Now, when I go out, several will fly up on my knee or just come around the chair for me to touch them or run their backs. If they are in the coop now, when they see me coming across the yard, they all run out into the run and start their clucking noises waiting on me to come in.

when they get comfortable with you, it makes it easy to look them over to make sure there are no problems.

Back
Top Bottom