Pullets bumping chests together??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Urbanchickens, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Urbanchickens

Urbanchickens Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2007
    I noticed 2 of my pullets (approx 21 wks old) bumping chests this morning. Goldie fluffed out her feathers and ran at Felicity who then fluffed up and they began bumping chests several times (like sumo wrestlers!). They've been together for 4 months now so I assumed they had the pecking order established.

Any ideas what this is about?

2. siz8003

siz8003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Fitz.,NH
    All my chickens do that i think it is a pecking order thing and to me its funny

3. BantyChickMom

BantyChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2007
    Henderson, NC
    All chickens have to protect their rank in the pecking order.
    Just as the alpha roo has to keep those beneath him in line,
    so does the dominant hen.

4. JenniferJoIN

JenniferJoIN Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    My chicks are only 3 weeks old and do this! They fluff up and fly at each other and stretch their necks as tall as they can go. Poor things probably think they're being intimidating! [​IMG]

5. ndngirl

ndngirl New Egg

Aug 6, 2007
    San Antonio
    Mine do that too, especially when we let them out to roam the yard! It looks so funny, and the accompanying squawk is even better!

We have 6, 3 of which are a month older than the others. The top 2 'big girls' seem to each aspire to be top bird, even though they had established that in the very beginning. I guess it's an ongoing contest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by