Pullets hate the coop > Help!

Chickiemom25

Crowing
12 Years
May 13, 2011
North Alabama
ok the head hen and her cohort both head to the coop at night and bed down in the nest box. They have only been out in the coop for a week but are putting themselves to bed finally. The 2 pullets on the other hand HATE the coop. They have been 2 weeks sleeping in the coop. I put them in and they pace and peck at the door until it is totally dark. In the morning, I am up just before sunrise and they are standing inside waiting for me to let them out. When will they follow the older gals into the coop? They don't take treats from my hand and the older gals steal all treats before the pullets can get it so treats wont work well I fear. Any other suggestions?

Perhaps the problem isn't the coop, but rather the other chickens? Maybe they feel trapped with big meanies?

pullets are 9 and 11 week old white and Barred rocks . The hens are one year old white orpington and an americauna. The pullets are now physically larger than the hens though not by much. Yes the orp is still the top of the pecking order. it doesnt matter if the pullets go in first or the hens. The rocks still want OUT. The hens go back to the nest boxes to sleep so the roost is available for the pullets. I see no marks on the pullets from the hens, no missing feathers. no signs of agression and they all hang together finally during the day although the hens get first dibs on treats i have noticed.

Last edited:
Well, it doesn't appear that size difference is the issue then! I don't have any suggestions for you; sounds like you are observing them well. Hope you figure out what will work, or just accept the fact that they have different personalities than the others. There is always a lot of chicken politics going on that we don't understand. It may be that when they start laying, they will settle down a bit and view the coop as a good place.

I know this is old bit im running into the same issue.
my girls are 10 weeks now and its their 3rd night in the coop. I put them to bed and I can hear them flying around and trying to get out. Its heartbreaking. Is it just a time thing?

You know at 24 months the pullets still hated the coop. They much preferred to roost on the window sill outside the kitchen. I just learned to put them in the coop long after dark and directly on the perch so they didnt fuss as much. As soon as the sun comes up they have to be let out or they squawk incessantly.

Thank you for the update. Hopefully its just nee and they will come to like it.
I blame my husband he thought it was still to cold and made me bring them into their brooder at night. They want to be house bed chicks lol

Just a thought....
Since they are young, and used to a light, maybe they need a night light in the coop.
Just a low wattage type. I understand chickens have really bad night vision. Maybe your girls are just scared of things they can't see. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom