Pullets making noise!!

:woot Congratulations on your first egg! That's a beautiful egg too!
Personally, I wouldn't switch to layer feed, if that's what you are planning on feeding them from now on, until they have started laying or until your bag of starter is getting low, then transition them, no need to waste feed.
Some do like I do and use an all flock/flock raiser feed all their lives, while others use layer feed - your choice/preference. Oyster shell should be provided free choice regardless of the type of feed you decide to use.

ok thanks will order some oyster shell

Hello all,

I have 8 pullets on an acre, full free-range, that sleep in a coop at night. They arrived as 1 day old chicks on May 15, which puts them at about 17 weeks. One pullet, in particular, is always trying to get into the house if we leave the door open and is constantly on the porch. She is also starting to make a lot of noise and also does the submissive thing by squatting when you go near her. Her comb is pretty red. My question is, should I be concerned about the squawking? It is pretty loud and becoming more regular. A bit concerned my neighbors are going to kill me.

Thanks!

Adam
Maybe she's practicing her egg song.

Congrats!! @CoopersFarm
They are loud!!
I once had a group of 8 pullets that were so loud at onset of lay I had to close the house windows so I could work over the phone.

But, she is still a pullet, an egg laying pullet.
Yup!

FYI.....semantics, maybe, but can be important communication terms when discussing chicken behavior.
Female chickens are called pullets until one year of age, then they are called hens.
Male chickens are called cockerels until one year of age, then they are called cocks(or cockbirds or roosters).
Age in weeks or months is always a good thing to note.

Hello all,

I have 8 pullets on an acre, full free-range, that sleep in a coop at night. They arrived as 1 day old chicks on May 15, which puts them at about 17 weeks. One pullet, in particular, is always trying to get into the house if we leave the door open and is constantly on the porch. She is also starting to make a lot of noise and also does the submissive thing by squatting when you go near her. Her comb is pretty red. My question is, should I be concerned about the squawking? It is pretty loud and becoming more regular. A bit concerned my neighbors are going to kill me.

Thanks!

Adam
I have one young hen and she is so noisy outside the coop before she goes to lay. Just something she does. :jumpy

I've got a BO who is 3 yrs old and still loud. She's a constant talker. She does the "egg song" when anyone lays. She sings before and after she lays. About the only way to shut her up involves food. Which I sometimes resort to when she gets really wound up. She's otherwise a real sweetheart. You can hear softly cooing at night when everyone is settling in at night. Love that girl, big mouth and all!

Mine have been crazy loud! We got one egg in the nest box two weeks ago, but nonstop egg-song racket. Finally today I piled new wood chips into the run so I could stand to walk around in there. Sure enough, in the only spot invisible from outside the run, I found their nest with 16 eggs! None as beautiful as that blue one!

Probably all four are laying. We filled that corner of the run with rocks and put a couple eggs into the nest box. (Where they love to go and push the straw around and sing!)

Hoping for the best!

Back
Top Bottom