Pullets or cockerel??

GHomestead81

Hatching
Mar 26, 2022
Hello everyone! New to the group and I was here looking for a little help. Feb 28th my chicks were shipped , I ordered from Cackle Hatchery. I ordered 3 Welsummer pullets, and 3 Barred rock pullets. They threw in a extra barred rock which turned out to be a cockerel. Now I’m questioning 2 of my Welsummers. I’m positive they are cockerels. Anyone confirm? I’m very upset about this because I didn’t order a straight run. And Welsummers are auto sexed. And they won’t do anything until may when they asked me to send them pics. I think that a little bogus if you ask me. These chicks were supposed to replace 7 I had to rehome due to them being bullies. And now with the barred rock cockerel and my already Cochin rooster my hen to roo ratios is going to be off.

Suspect cockerels and pullet
63E7DB68-0851-4129-ACE1-CC30AAEC96EC.jpeg
7DDE6CA7-8067-406B-99C2-58ED20D05405.jpeg

04D9CA46-9AFD-4F32-A0E3-D9B7CC5A7270.jpeg

So the second and 3rd are cockerels. I’m REALLY mad right now. I paid for pullets.
Oh if those are 3 chicks, then yes. The last two are cockerels. Welsummers are sexually dimorphic. The males and females have different color/patterns. See how the pullet's chest is salmon, and the cockerels have black chests?

I would send pictures to the hatchery and let them know what happened. They may tell you to wait, that they are too young to be certain "blah blah blah". Just be prepared for that type of reply.

Oh if those are 3 chicks, then yes. The last two are cockerels. Welsummers are sexually dimorphic. The males and females have different color/patterns. See how the pullet's chest is salmon, and the cockerels have black chests?

I would send pictures to the hatchery and let them know what happened. They may tell you to wait, that they are too young to be certain "blah blah blah". Just be prepared for that type of reply.
Agreed.

I called them today, and they told me I had to wait until May to send them pics to prove they are cockerels. I’m really p’d off right now. I know they are auto sexed. Which makes me even more mad. When I picked them up at the post office they were 1/2 dead and I was able to revive them. And then they send me males when I ordered females.

I called them today, and they told me I had to wait until May to send them pics to prove they are cockerels. I’m really p’d off right now. I know they are auto sexed. Which makes me even more mad. When I picked them up at the post office they were 1/2 dead and I was able to revive them. And then they send me males when I ordered females.
I'd be quite p'd off too. Sorry this happened. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom