1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pullets or Roos? Need help :)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by meghanc, Sep 28, 2014.

1. meghanc

meghanc Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2014
    Whitwell, Tn
    My EE/ americaunas (blue egg layers) hatched on April 29 of this year, which makes them 5 months. I'm wondering if anyone can give me some help in if I have any Roos or pullets? My Oliver eggers I hatched a month later are already crowing, haven't noticed any of these guys starting?
    Only wondering bc we have a very sweet white leg horn rooster and only want to keep him, we had a cock fight once and not going through that again.

Thanks for any advice!!!

[​IMG][/IMG][/IMG][​IMG]

2. meghanc

Sep 28, 2014
    Whitwell, Tn
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. The only hen is that last one. The rest are all roosters.

4. meghanc

Sep 28, 2014
    Whitwell, Tn
    Thank you! Is it the way their combs are or the bend in the tail your seeing?

5. Well at this age the hens have large combs too, but usually roosters will develop their combs first.

The first 3 chickens (roosters) all have silkie feathers that are pointed at the end. If you look at your birds saddle & hackle feathers you'll find the roosters have silkie / shiny feathers that are pointed at the end whereas the hen has very round feathers that aren't so silkie.

Color also plays a role. The 2nd & 3rd roosters have rooster coloring - hens don't color like that.

Also the sickle feathers, aka the tail feathers. In most chicken breeds hens don't get feathers like that, but in Easter eggers I've found hens will commonly get rooster tail feathers, so going off just that is unreliable. Including the saddle & hackle feathers is more reliable.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
  6. meghanc

Sep 28, 2014
    Whitwell, Tn
    Awesome! Thanks for that information, very helpful and knowledgable!! This is our 2nd bunch of chicks so still learning :)

Thanks again for your help!!!!

7. No prob.

For future reference I'd suggest when they're 4-6 weeks old post pics of them. You can usually sex them at that age.

For Easter eggers it's a bit difficult though.

8. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    x2

9. meghanc

Sep 28, 2014
    Whitwell, Tn
    Ok, will do that! Thanks!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by