Pullets or Roos?

My buff Orpington chicks are 8 weeks old. I think they are all pullets, except maybe the chick in picture 5? His/her face seems redder and the comb is slightly bigger. This one has also been making a weird sound in the evening, like a honking (it's kind of hard to explain). Another one does it as well.

Thanks for your help!
View attachment 2852608View attachment 2852609View attachment 2852610View attachment 2852611View attachment 2852612View attachment 2852614View attachment 2852615
They all look like pullets except the one on the far left in the fifth picture, he looks a little suspicious, but I wouldn't panic. :lau

Hi! My chicks are about 12 weeks old now and I’m pretty sure my buff Orpington is a male but what about my Welsummer? I read somewhere that the tail of a roo will curve upwards? Please tell me I have only one roo! 🤦🏻‍♀️

Your help is greatly appreciated!!! 💜
Buff orp is def looking roo. My mixed breed Welsummer hen was late maturing I’ll try to attach a photo. She had a rosy comb early on but underdeveloped. She is mixed barred rock tho. At over 1 year old her comb is massively large & red now; she lays brilliant chocolate brown eggs.
You can try 'tail flare technique’ to determine gender, which is where you gently hold your chickie firmly with both hands, faced away from you, holding wings down to prevent flapping/injury. Gently dip their head down, kinda quick like without letting go- if a pullet the tail will flare open like a fan. If a roo you get nothing, droopy tail stays put. Note that only roosters develop saddle/sickle feathers on their back. Roosters usually have pointed tail feathers, hens rounded off. good luck to you!

Attachments

• 1633139833205.jpeg
    1633139833205.jpeg
    422.3 KB · Views: 1
Buff orp is def looking roo. My mixed breed Welsummer hen was late maturing I’ll try to attach a photo. She had a rosy comb early on but underdeveloped. She is mixed barred rock tho. At over 1 year old her comb is massively large & red now; she lays brilliant chocolate brown eggs.
You can try 'tail flare technique’ to determine gender, which is where you gently hold your chickie firmly with both hands, faced away from you, holding wings down to prevent flapping/injury. Gently dip their head down, kinda quick like without letting go- if a pullet the tail will flare open like a fan. If a roo you get nothing, droopy tail stays put. Note that only roosters develop saddle/sickle feathers on their back. Roosters usually have pointed tail feathers, hens rounded off. good luck to you!
Excellent! Thank you. I appreciate that!

Back
Top Bottom