Pullet's second egg: blood on shell

aubreynoramarie

designated lawn flamingo
9 Years
May 27, 2010
Reno, Nevada
my nhr layed her second egg this morning (yay two days in a row!) but she was in there FOREVER working on it. Finally when she popped it out it had blood on it
sad.png
its a pretty good amount. is she hurting herself? are these eggs too big for her? can i still eat the egg if there is blood all over the outside of it?

It happens sometimes. If they strain a little to much, or the egg is a little larger than the norm, it will happen. Don't worry. One thing I have always gotten in the habit of going, especially with younger hens, is always looking at their vent area, to make sure they haven't prolapsed, after laying an egg. Just trying to stay ahead of things.
smile.png

It is a protruding red bulge at the vent, the vent turns itself inside out. I didn't want to worry you, but just wanted to let you know about it, just in case it ever happens. If it does ever happen, just be sure you separate her asap, so the other chickens don't peck at it, and kill her. It probably will never happen, but it doesn't hurt to have this info just in case.
smile.png
I forgot to tell you, yes you can eat the egg if it has blood on the shell. Just wash it off when you're getting ready to prepare it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom