Pullets sick with yellow discharge coming out of nose

Thank-you everyone who responded on this difficult problem. I know it's best to cull my layers, but I just lost my little babies to a wild animal and it makes me want to cry to think about losing these birds too. I told my DH we should buy birds off Craigs list...I read all about it here on BYC but let him make the decision and stood by it. Now I regret not standing on what I knew was right. ARRGGG!
barnie.gif
My parents had chickens once when I was a kid and remember seeimg my dad chop their heads off and helped to pluck them, but honestly, I don't think I could do it. About how much does it cost to take them to the vet and have them euthanized? Any other suggestions on culling?

Quote:
Really sorry you are having to wrestle with this. It's horrible for sure. I am really not sure what they charge to euthanize a chicken, but I know in some places it can be over $100 for a cat. Most folks on here go with chopping the head and although it sounds horrible they die instantly and cannot feel it. Some will dislocate the neck. So sorry, I am not the one in my family who deals with it. DH takes care of this most distressing task. Hang in there.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom