1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pullets Started Laying (:

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chickaroo!, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Chickaroo!

Chickaroo! Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2007
    My pullets are 18wks old and one started laying yesterday, another, today. I found both eggs on top of the nest boxes. I put wooden eggs in two of the nest boxes to try to incourage them to lay there. I just put my two older hens in with the little girls and one of the older ones layed in the nest box today.

Will the little girls just learn their way around or should I do something else to encourage to use of the nest boxes?

2. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Congratulations! I'm waiting for my first eggs, so not much use in shaping behaviors...but listening.[​IMG]

3. Chickaroo!

Chickaroo! Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2007
    Well...I just got back from visiting with my girls and I found another pullet egg (drum roll please) IN THE NEST BOX!!! [​IMG]
    So, I guess they just learn as they go [​IMG]

4. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Congrats, took my hens a few tries to get it right also.

5. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Congratulations! [​IMG] Now if I could only get mine to start using the nest boxes...

6. richnchicks

richnchicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2008
    weatherford, tx.
    when mine started i had one in the grass outside, one on the roost platform and one on top of the 'spare' portable nest box.. since then all have been in the regular boxes with 2 EE's and 2 black australorps laying in the same box (at different times).
    rich

7. Hen Daddy

Hen Daddy Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    Our GLW which is our newest girl is supposed to be 3 eggs a week. Well its been 3 eggs in 3 days so far! Maybe she is going to stop for the rest of the week. LOL.

8. Hen Daddy

Hen Daddy Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    I should have added our GLW is not using the nest boxes either. But she is in the coop near them in the pine shavings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by