Pullets trying to protect me or..

Thanks for the replies, makes perfect sense now.
I'll try training him without them attacking. Everyone gets along just fine for the most part.
Other than his random outbursts, he seems to be a very good cockerel. Dances, protects, sends good and bad alarms, gives his treats away, mates.

I have warned the kids to keep an eye on him. My oldest son mentioned that that the cockerel charged him 2 days ago.
The cockerel seemed fine today.

aart, not 100% on the age but he is young, 6 months id say. The pullets are young too, 6.5 months.
I've read on here that young cockerel can be a pain when young.
I'll keep training if/when he shows aggression.

I have a fishing net that I use to catch chickens. All my birds respect the net. I recommend it as a tool to help control young roosters behaviors and to dominate them if necessary. Chasing them down and netting them seems to work well as dominating. All my roosters are respectful and none bother me. I have a feeling it's my net and my attitude. It could empower your kids.

Did you handle your birds a lot when they were growing up? Handled birds will often treat their keeper like a member of the flock. That might be why your rooster attacked you and why your hens helped you.

I have a fishing net that I use to catch chickens. All my birds respect the net. I recommend it as a tool to help control young roosters behaviors and to dominate them if necessary. Chasing them down and netting them seems to work well as dominating. All my roosters are respectful and none bother me. I have a feeling it's my net and my attitude. It could empower your kids.

I don't mean to sound rude but if you handled your hens you wouldn't have to chase them down with a net. I believe using a net to chase and catch them is in message and cruel. I deal with many birds and I can go up to them pick them up, do checks, and move them around with no problems. And that includes multiple roosters

Many opinions here! I'm with donrae and old hens! Your cockerel is getting to be a very bad boy, and if a couple of 'discussions' aren't enough to reform his attitude, it's time to say goodby. ESPECIALLY with children involved!!! My cockerels and cocks need to be respectful of humans no matter what happens; they are there for their ladies, and never to challenge me! I handle my birds at night when they are roosting if at all possible, but that big net is there for daytime emergencies. Frightened or injured birds aren't going to run to you, and obnoxious cockerels may need netting, unless you have way faster reflexes than I do. Mary

I don't mean to sound rude but if you handled your hens you wouldn't have to chase them down with a net. I believe using a net to chase and catch them is in message and cruel. I deal with many birds and I can go up to them pick them up, do checks, and move them around with no problems. And that includes multiple roosters
I don't make pets out of my chickens and they aren't subjugated to my constant handling. They are allowed to move freely throughout my 40 acre property. If I need to catch a bird to trim nail, crests or spurs, netting is quick and easy. More than one way to raise and keep chickens, that's part of the appeal.

Last edited:
It's not at all uncommon for other birds to jump on a bird that's being pinned, whether the bird is being pinned by a flock mate or a human. Certainly not desirable, but not uncommon. As for the roo in question, I would NOT pick him up and tote him around. I'd maintain an arm's length away at all time policy with him. Herd him out of the way and away from the rest of the flock when you feed the girls, or give them treats. Make him wait for food or treats until you decide he can eat. Use a slender stick to herd him, simply tapping his heiney should be enough to get him moving along. Where ever he happens to be, make him yield that space to you. Never turn your back on him. Spend some time herding him around every day until he retreats when ever he sees you. If this doesn't change his behavior, eat him. Never allow a mean bird to play in the gene pool.

I had a stubborn chicken last night that I could not catch, she just didn't want to go in. The whole time I was thinking, this would be over if I had a net.
Tried on two different occasions but she kept running into thick bushes.
Had to wait 30min until it got really dark so I could grab her.

I could have let her go to the coop on her own but we have raccoons that randomly visit, and it's always before it gets dark.
They did not come around last night. Around here, it's illegal to trap or kill coons, but at some point, I'm might haft to break a law or two, i'd rather not though.

That's one reason why I got a cockerel, for my second line of defense. The run/coop is my first line and the coons have tried and failed.

I find a net invaluable. Mine don't even have an extra long handle, just few feet. It's not like my birds are scared of me, they're just not used to being picked up. I don't care to handle my birds on a regular basis, so this is what I use. I think some of the more persistent escapees are more used to being netted than caught! I just walk up to them and pop the net down over them, they hunker down and have the attitude of "Okay, get this thing off me so I can get back in the coop"....I'm not physically able to chase/grab/bend to get birds off the ground all the time, and I move a lot of birds compared to most folks.

If you don't have one, put it on your Christmas wish list
smile.png

I can't believe they are protected. Is it because of where you live/zoning ordinances?
Just read the wildlife act. Sorry, I can trap them, but not kill them. Thought I couldn't do either.
At least that's an option. I don't know if they're protected. I'm sure I'd be breaking some sort or law if I just shot them dead, there seems to be a law for everything.

I'm not too worried about coons anyway. My big run isn't coon poof but the chicken door leading to it gets locked every night. That run will stop things like owls, cats and small dogs.
My smaller run which is connected to the other end of the coop has a solid top. Chickens have access to that 24/7.

donrae
I will put it on my xmas list.
In another 3 weeks though, we'll have three feet of snow, that'l slow them down for sure.

Back
Top Bottom