Pullets with gargling noises and runny noses

LarissaSlates98

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 23, 2012
I recently got 2 americana pullets 3 months old. They were just wormed a few days ago. And they are making weird gargling noises, one has a runny nose, but they seem to be eating and drinking perfectly fine. Any suggestions? I have them seperate from the flock. Will TLC and good food and water help? Thanks

This could be CRD (Chronic Respiratory Disease) which is very common in young chickens. I'm not an expert on this so I can't tell you much, but I have been reading up on it because I think some of my chicks might have it. I'd suggest googling it. Some advice I'll give you though, keep these chicks separate from ALL other chickens until you find out what they have because CRD is contagious. Good luck and I hope you get more thorough answers.

Unless it's an environmental or fungal issue ...and you're certain it's a respiratory problem, I recommend that you cull them and disinfect everything they were in contact with.

I lost my flock to CRD last month. They started with the crackling noise, coughing, and excess scratching behind the ears. It progressed to full on eye bubbling, falling over sick.

If it's CRD, you can treat the symptoms but your chicks will be carriers of the disease for life, infecting everything and everyone around them. If you handle them, step in a poop or come in contact with the dirty bedding, it's completely possible to bring it back inside to your next batch of chicks.

CRD is very sad, it is possible to treat the symptoms, but I wouldn't feel comfortable eating or using the eggs that came out of a sick chicken [which doesn't matter because CRD messes with the egg production anyway]

I'm sorry your chicks are sick though. I'd invest in some Oxine cleaner and fog the coop and the chicks to sterilize and clean; Oxine has been sad to help cure symptoms of CRD and I swear by it! It works better than bleach and it dries to common table salt, so you can add it to the drinking water and spray it directly onto the chickens. [I bought a weed pump with the barrel and pump and spray top and I make my mixture in there and spray everything in the coops and pens down once a week as a precautionary measure]

For now, I'd keep them separated and watch them to see if it progresses.

In the future, adding oregano flakes and cinnamon to the food will help keep down the fungus in the birds and the pen.

I recently had a hen with gurgling, runny nose and foamy/bubbly eyes. I took her to the bird vet and had her tested (wanted to know what disesase was in my flock). Turns out she had mycoplasma. I kept her separate from the flock for two weeks and gave her antibiotics. After two weeks, she was well enough to go back into the flock. Vet said it was OK, as all the other chickens were most likely already exposed anyway.

She's been out with the flock for three weeks and is doing great. I understand, however, that mycoplasma is not curable, so chances are it will rise its ugly head again when hen is under stress.

Just wanted to share another experience out there - for those who decide not to cull. I have a closed flock and don't sell hens or breed, so I decided to treat the sick hen.

Last edited:
This is precisely why I DON'T buy pullets! My new birds come as day old chicks from NPIP hatcheries ONLY. Chickens are prone to diseases, and then they're carriers. They contaminate the coop, and then new birds become infected. HUGE issue!

You can treat the birds with Tylan, injectable is the fastest acting, but added to water is okay, too. It works for most infections. Yes, its okay to keep these birds if you're willing to take the time, spend the money, put in the effort, take the chance of infecting your other birds, and future birds. I have also used Oxine spray to fog & spray the coops on a regular basis, and to mist any sick or wheezey birds. As we NEVER sell birds, even eggs, I chose to separate the birds in another building. Have not had ongoing issues for years, but will keep these birds in quarantined area till their eventual demise.

Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom