Pullets with swollen eyes

RaptorMom

Chirping
6 Years
Nov 8, 2017
Hello!
I have nine week old pullets and just noticed that some of them have a swollen eye. I also heard some sneezing. They are in a fairly small coop as I'm waiting a bit longer to add them to the big girl house (which maybe I shouldn't now?). They have all been out free ranging together a few times, but don't seem to interact much.
I did a bit of reading and saw this could possibly be infectious coryza. Does that seem probable? For now I plan to start with just adding ACV and garlic to their water until I know more of what I'm dealing with. Thanks for any help!

This photo is of the two eyes that seem the worst so far.
IMG_20240522_200439.jpg

Do you see any lesions or canker inside the beaks?
Any bad odors?

Infectious Coryza reportedly has a very bad smell.

Where did these birds come from? How long have you had them?

You have them in a small coop - photos of that? How's the ventilation?

They have been moving about with your existing flock? For how long?

Ever notice any respiratory illnesses within your existing flock?

Could be Mycoplasma, hard to know. You'll have to determine which one really or get some testing.

Mycoplasma symptoms are usually treated with Tylan/Tylosin, Tiamulin or sometimes Tetracyclines.

Infectious Corzya symptoms are treated with Sulfa Antibiotics.

Both of these illnesses make birds carriers for life.

Do you see any lesions or canker inside the beaks?
Any bad odors?

Infectious Coryza reportedly has a very bad smell.

Where did these birds come from? How long have you had them?

You have them in a small coop - photos of that? How's the ventilation?

They have been moving about with your existing flock? For how long?

Ever notice any respiratory illnesses within your existing flock?

Could be Mycoplasma, hard to know. You'll have to determine which one really or get some testing.

Mycoplasma symptoms are usually treated with Tylan/Tylosin, Tiamulin or sometimes Tetracyclines.

Infectious Corzya symptoms are treated with Sulfa Antibiotics.

Both of these illnesses make birds carriers for life.

I don't smell anything nor have I noticed any problems with the beaks. They all seem to be eating and drinking fine for now.

These are from my own flock, hatched in an incubator. They are 9 weeks old.

Attached is a photo of their current coop. It is quite small with a few built-in ventilation screens. I did have 8 pullets, but lost two to a raccoon two nights ago. So, I guess there is a bit more room in there now. 😣

They have been out with my adult flock intermittently for the last week or two. I have yet to notice any swelling on my big birds. They do sneeze occasionally, but that has been on and off for awhile now and never seems to cause other problems for them.

I will look more into both coryza and mycoplasma and see what symptoms may line-up.

I have seen some people suggest culling sick birds and starting over. Is that advisable seeing as they will always carry it or is that over-kill (see what I did there?)?
IMG_20240523_082053.jpg

I don't smell anything nor have I noticed any problems with the beaks. They all seem to be eating and drinking fine for now.

These are from my own flock, hatched in an incubator. They are 9 weeks old.

Attached is a photo of their current coop. It is quite small with a few built-in ventilation screens. I did have 8 pullets, but lost two to a raccoon two nights ago. So, I guess there is a bit more room in there now. 😣

They have been out with my adult flock intermittently for the last week or two. I have yet to notice any swelling on my big birds. They do sneeze occasionally, but that has been on and off for awhile now and never seems to cause other problems for them.

I will look more into both coryza and mycoplasma and see what symptoms may line-up.

I have seen some people suggest culling sick birds and starting over. Is that advisable seeing as they will always carry it or is that over-kill (see what I did there?)?

I'm sorry you lost 2 to a Racoon, that's the pits.

O.K. Since they are from your flock/you hatched them, they didn't bring in something with them. Still possible that you have asymptomatic illness that is spread from the adults....BUT I'd look at ventilation, dusty bedding, heavy ammonia odor inside the coop - rule out environmental factors. Both have swollen facial tissue - are Buffalo Gnats really bad right now any noticeable bug bits, any lice or mites on them?

Just brainstorming about possibilities...

If you aren't selling/giving away birds or hatching eggs, then just keep your flock closed for now.
Culling can be a practical step to take especially if you are in business or show birds (interestingly a lot of people sell sick show birds :idunno ).
Reality is - IF these 2 have respiratory illness, they have been next too/near and/or running with your existing flock (the adults). ALL have been exposed and if you they are asymptomatic, they are still considered carriers.

Culling is not something I'd do at this time, you still don't know what's causing the swelling.
Can you tell if it's getting better/worse/staying the same over the last couple of days?

It may be worth treating them with Tylosin to see if that makes a difference. Infectious Coryza usually has a very bad smell.

https://jedds.com/products/tylosin-powder?_pos=1&_sid=5b7d6d644&_ss=r

https://allbirdproducts.com/products/tylosin-powder-generic

Well, I treated them with ACV, garlic, thyme, and oregano while waiting for other options. They seem to be doing better! The swelling is mostly gone now. Not sure if it was the "treatment" or just time, but I'll take it!
Thanks for all the ideas and help!

Back
Top Bottom