Pullets won't go back in coop at night

I'm having this problem with 3 month old chickens I've showed them where to go and where to roost for 3 weeks now and still no light bulb going off for them :-/ once inside they run back out into yard weather dark or not their brooder was in there as chicks I've offered treats keep food and water in there they go in to eat but they just prefer the yard hoping when the hens start laying they figure out what the nesting boxes are for cause I don't want to have a easter egg hunt every day lol

Im having the same problem with my 6 girls(4 are 8 weeks and 2 are 10weeks). They go up and down the ramp and in and out of the roost all day long, but as soon as it starts getting dark they sit by the door and cry like babies till we go put them up in the roost. We have a lamp in the roost. We live in Florida and I'm trying to get them to go in the roost during the horrible afternoon storms but i can't even get them to go to roost at night.

Small victory tonight. My birds were going under the coop to sleep so I blocked that part of the run off. Leaving them with two options. One being to sit exposed in the run with the elements or to go in the coop. When the sun went down I went out, and all were roosting in the coop :)

My almost 5 week old chicks wont go up on the ladder to go roost at night to sleep...they will huddle in the corner next to the door in the run
barnie.gif
....they go down the ladder to the run without any problems when I open the coop/roost door... then at night after waiting to see if the chicks will go to bed/roost up the ladder...I end up having to get each one of them and place them in the coop/roost area...every night
hit.gif
HELP....

My almost 5 week old chicks wont go up on the ladder to go roost at night to sleep...they will huddle in the corner next to the door in the run
barnie.gif
....they go down the ladder to the run without any problems when I open the coop/roost door... then at night after waiting to see if the chicks will go to bed/roost up the ladder...I end up having to get each one of them and place them in the coop/roost area...every night
hit.gif
HELP....

Do they go up it at all during the day? Knowing that helps point to either general lack of knowing they can go IN or just a lack of realization that dark = go in.
Have they learned to come to you when called? If so, call them from inside the coop to encourage them to go up the ladder and in.

Do they go up it at all during the day? Knowing that helps point to either general lack of knowing they can go IN or just a lack of realization that dark = go in.
Have they learned to come to you when called? If so, call them from inside the coop to encourage them to go up the ladder and in.
Most come running when they hear me. My Isa Brown went up the ladder and in the coop/roost area just an hour ago :) EE almost went in the roost area today...the others...nope. I use a brooder lamp 60 watt at night right now...but they still wont go in by themselves. I will definitely try the calling from the roost/coop area.

Had to pick everyone up and place them in the roost/coop area again
hu.gif
...it's as though they are fighting not to go to bed...even though they want to huddle up and sleep in a corner of the run
D.gif
they just don't get it yet!!

my girls are still refusing to go in at night. they come and go in and out all day but as soon as it gets dark they all huddle together bed down and fall asleep. my husband goes and rounds them up and puts them in every night. its like they don't care or just like being put in, once they are in they all hop on their perches and go right to sleep. when will they ever learn, we've tried putting treats(mealworms) but that takes 2 people on to keep them in cause as soon as one gets one they all chase and pile back out before the last one gets in. they won't even go in during the pouring rain, they sit on the one perch and cry while getting soaked. any ideas? i climb in the roost during the day and they will come up and see me but won't stay long. I'm willing to try anything short of sleeping in there with them.

my girls are still refusing to go in at night. they come and go in and out all day but as soon as it gets dark they all huddle together bed down and fall asleep. my husband goes and rounds them up and puts them in every night. its like they don't care or just like being put in, once they are in they all hop on their perches and go right to sleep. when will they ever learn, we've tried putting treats(mealworms) but that takes 2 people on to keep them in cause as soon as one gets one they all chase and pile back out before the last one gets in. they won't even go in during the pouring rain, they sit on the one perch and cry while getting soaked. any ideas? i climb in the roost during the day and they will come up and see me but won't stay long. I'm willing to try anything short of sleeping in there with them.

Oh wow...How old are your chicks?

Back
Top Bottom