pullets won't go in coop at night

petercriddell

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 3, 2010
Arizona
Hi All,

Well, yesterday was moving day for my 5-6 week old Australorp Pullets. I put them in their Ark (A-frame with coop on top with a ramp to the run on the bottom). I had to put them in the top through the nesting box, as they seem to be afraid of the ramp. I had to do the same thing tonight. I did add a solar-powered night-light to their coop--one of those Led path lights with the Led on some wire hung inside the coop. I thought the light inside would lure them up the ramp, but no-go; after dark I found them huddled together in the run. I put them upstairs and they huddled around the night-light. They are kind of cuddling togegther in the litter, not really on the roost. Is there anything I can do to get them to go in the coop at night? It's getting into the low 50's here (Arizona) and I'm worried about exposure. I've got a daytime pic of their ark below. Thanks for your help!

48291_dsc00949.jpg

the ramp may be too steep or slippery for how little they are. I had a similar issue with my ramp and young ones. I decreased the slope with a brick and rigged a second ramp that was not real steep to the first ramp. I also tacked on a peice of old carpet to the ramps and sprinkled a trail of food to the coop. Once they were 7-8 weeks I removed te carpet, then after another couple weeks I took off the ramp extension. Hope you find what works for you.

It's got cleat's on it every few inches. I'll try some carpet. Maybe a soft terry cloth towel might work?

Thanks guys!

Quote:
Yeah, something to catch their little toes on. Even tough it's got the cleats, it may take them a bit to learn to get up and down. I spent a week tossing mine into their dog house coop. When they moved up with the "big girls" they moved in and out of the coop with no problems.

Maybe they don't realize there is a roosting area up there? If they don't figure it out maybe you could try putting them in each night until they start to understand where they should be going to sleep.

They went up tonight! I coaxed them into the coop earlier today with some bread. When it got dark, they made their way up into the loft. The're big girls now!

Last edited:
I introduced my crew to the ramp by sprinkling it lightly with cornmeal, a little sand and some chick scratch. It took all of ten minutes before they were all out pecking away along the whole thing, and shortly thereafter they were taking turns flapping frantically up and then pecking back down. Now as soon as they see me coming across the yard at dusk, they troop right up the ramp all by themselves.

If you think your ramp is a bit steep, try putting a couple of patio blocks under the bottom. Raising that end can help soften the angle...

wink.png

Back
Top Bottom