Pullets

I am new to chickens are pullets a good choice for beginners? We would pick them up, they are very close to us. also are Easter Eggers good beginner chickens? Thanks in advanced! :)
Easter eggers are a great choice for beginners! Pretty hardy and generally easy-going, plus fun colored eggs to boot. How old are the pullets you are looking at getting?

There's no such thing as beginner chickens.
Well, you probably shouldn't start with game fowl, but aside from that, there really isn't.
Pullets are young female chickens, that's how most people start. :]

Thanks for the advice, about 6-8 weeks old depending.
That sounds like a nice, easy transition to chicken-keeping since they will be old enough to go in the coop without heat, plus they should be easy to sex and make sure you are getting pullets and not cockerels! You'll likely need to teach them to go in the coop at night.

Started pullets -- known females old enough to be off heat and ready to live outdoors -- are a great choice for your first chickens because the person selling them has gotten them through the difficult first few weeks that require special equipment.

Best to ask where the chicks came from -- if they seller bred them personally from his/her own flock or if they ordered extra chicks from a hatchery and are selling the extras. Neither is inherently better, but knowing where they're from helps you know better what to expect.

Disclosure: I've been raising and selling Started and Point-of-Lay pullets to so far very happy customers who were glad to not have to deal with chicks, having ordered twice as many chicks as I wanted and seling the extras.

Back
Top Bottom