Pulling Feathers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by norcal, Jun 28, 2010.

1. norcal

norcal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Northern California
    I'm at my wits end, and I am done making saddles for my chickens.
    I have a feather puller, and I'm 99% sure she's the only one doing it.

I have 3 new hens to introduce, and I don't want them missing their back feathers too.
    Should I trim her beak?
    Or maybe put her in the "teen" coop when I introduce the teens to the hens here soon?

Help.

2. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    How much trimming? If you trimmed it so much it inhibited the ability to pick feathers, she would most likely not be able to eat and just starve. And the extent you would have to trim is is probably not humane. If she is that aggressive, you might just want to get rid of her [​IMG] seperating her for a while will not do good. If you let her back in eventually she would get your new chickens and have them plucked too.

3. vegaschick

vegaschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2009
    Las Vegas
    I know what you're going through. I have 2 older hens that I got that do the same thing. I have made sure they get plenty of protein and it hasn't stopped so I know that it's not a deficiency. I am getting some Pinless Peepers. They are a kind of blinder for poultry that inhibits this behavior. If you do a search using the name you can get more info. Here's a website that sells them. http://www.randallburkey.com/PIN-LESS-PEEPERS-10-PKG/productinfo/10096/

good luck.

4. norcal

norcal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Northern California
    Okay, I'm confused as to what those do?
    They are like horse blinders? They clip onto the beak and attach in the nostrils? [​IMG]

Oh, and thanks for the replies.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  5. vegaschick

vegaschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2009
    Las Vegas
    yes, exactly like horse blinders, and yes, they attach in the nostrils and block their vision so that they have a harder time seeing their target. they can still see down or up so have no probs eating and drinking. if yours free-range these may not be for you as they could make it harder to see predators. dunno. you can do a google image search to see a hen wearing one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by