pumkins do I feed it raw? is it really good for them?

GoldenSparrow

Songster
8 Years
Mar 11, 2011
So I heard pumpkins are good for chickens, and help prevent worms.
is this true?
and do you feed it to them raw?

yes raw, it's good for em and they love it, or mine do, lol. I cut it up into inch size pieces, and give it to them to peck atand eat, they like it all, the insides and seed and skin!! Have fun!

raw is fine, cooked is fine. I throw the whole thing in there, it breaks up into a few pieces and they peck away at it for a few hours until it's gone. Lots of fun for them. They eat the seeds and pulp too.

I have been giving my flock pumpkins for about the last month. You would be surprised how fast they will finish one off! I cut them in half but today I put a whole one in the run with a couple of small holes cut into the outer skin to make them work for their treat and make it last a little longer. I've also read that they are a natural remedy for worms but I'm sure there will be some controversy about that. Just watch them enjoy the pumpkin.

We have a very specific feeding procedure.

Procure large pumpkin

Give large pumpkin to ten year old son.

Laugh watching ten year old son try to wrestle large pumpkin into chicken run.

Tell ten year old son he has to split large pumpkin open so chickens can eat it.

Again laugh as ten year old son tries to pick up large pumpkin above his head to smash it down on the ground.

Enjoy ten year old son's thought process as he finds a large stick to whack large pumpkin.

Suggest ten year old son use a knife to open large pumpkin. Watch ten year old son's eyes light up.

Finally watch chickens enjoying hacked up large pumpkin.

Repeat as needed. Not as many steps needed if you use twelve year old son who is able to raise large pumpkin above his head and smash it on the ground.

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif

Love it!

To be any true benefit as a potential wormer, it needs to be raw. If you already have cooked pumping on hand, then you can toss them that. I wouldn't just go to the extra trouble of doing it tho'. Our flock loves it raw - cut up, smashed, guts and seeds. Doesn't matter to them as long as they get it, they're happy.

Back
Top Bottom