pumkins do I feed it raw? is it really good for them?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by GoldenSparrow, Nov 5, 2011.

1. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    So I heard pumpkins are good for chickens, and help prevent worms.
    is this true?
    and do you feed it to them raw?

2. silkymom1986

silkymom1986 The Silkie Villa

Sep 28, 2011
    Byhalia, MS
    yes raw, it's good for em and they love it, or mine do, lol. I cut it up into inch size pieces, and give it to them to peck atand eat, they like it all, the insides and seed and skin!! Have fun!

3. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    raw is fine, cooked is fine. I throw the whole thing in there, it breaks up into a few pieces and they peck away at it for a few hours until it's gone. Lots of fun for them. They eat the seeds and pulp too.

4. 2 britts

2 britts Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2011
    East Tn.
    I have been giving my flock pumpkins for about the last month. You would be surprised how fast they will finish one off! I cut them in half but today I put a whole one in the run with a couple of small holes cut into the outer skin to make them work for their treat and make it last a little longer. I've also read that they are a natural remedy for worms but I'm sure there will be some controversy about that. Just watch them enjoy the pumpkin.

5. florida lee

florida lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Morriston,fl
    I just cut mine in half, the next day there is only a very thin skin left.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    We have a very specific feeding procedure.

Procure large pumpkin

Give large pumpkin to ten year old son.

Laugh watching ten year old son try to wrestle large pumpkin into chicken run.

Tell ten year old son he has to split large pumpkin open so chickens can eat it.

Again laugh as ten year old son tries to pick up large pumpkin above his head to smash it down on the ground.

Enjoy ten year old son's thought process as he finds a large stick to whack large pumpkin.

Suggest ten year old son use a knife to open large pumpkin. Watch ten year old son's eyes light up.

Finally watch chickens enjoying hacked up large pumpkin.

Repeat as needed. Not as many steps needed if you use twelve year old son who is able to raise large pumpkin above his head and smash it on the ground.

7. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

If I understand the data correctly, pumpkin, squash, cucumber, etc seeds cause the birds to pass a single kind of worm, perhaps round worms. It is not a full scope, wide spectrum wormer, but hey!! They love squash, cukes and pumpkins so, let 'em at it.

8. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:X2

9. flspnr

flspnr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Gibsonton, FL
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Love it!

10. LiLRedCV

LiLRedCV Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Land of the Rain
    To be any true benefit as a potential wormer, it needs to be raw. If you already have cooked pumping on hand, then you can toss them that. I wouldn't just go to the extra trouble of doing it tho'. Our flock loves it raw - cut up, smashed, guts and seeds. Doesn't matter to them as long as they get it, they're happy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by