pump for emptying duck pool

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by linmar, Sep 5, 2011.

1. linmar

linmar Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2009
    lebanon NH
    Hi, I was all set to buy a simple hand pump from my hardware or spa dealer but then wondered how it would work with the nasty stuff suspended in the duck water.
    Wouldn't a regular pump get stopped up by debris?

recommendations please.

owner of 10 messy dux

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Some people just use a wide hose and siphon the dirty water out, if there is a place where you can get the hose lower than the pond. I suppose another option is a lift pump that can be used for sewage. Hopefully duck owners weill have some other ideas.

3. 70%cocoa

70%cocoa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    I'd recommend a pump that is designed to handle large particles. I have an electric sump pump that does soft particles up to about an inch and a half. The pump itself has never been blocked but there is a point further along the outlet pipe that I've added that does get blocked where it turns a 90 degree angle. At that point the pipe is 19mm in diameter.

So either get something that will handle large bits (straw, grit, feathers) and/or that you can take apart to clean and with outlet hoses of as large a diameter as possible.

4. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Bilge pump?

5. 70%cocoa

70%cocoa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    I think that a lot of bilge pumps are not designed to handle large particles and would be clogged by feathers. You need big intake gaps at the bottom of the pump. A bilge pump designed for dirty water might be ok though. Otherwise something labelled as a sump pump or dirty water pump would work - you just need to check the size of the particles they are designed to handle.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by