1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

pumpkin butter

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by oakmancritters, Jan 24, 2008.

1. oakmancritters

oakmancritters Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2007
    oakman,alabama
    Pumpkin Butter
    3 cups cooked, mashed, or canned pumpkin
    2 cups sugar
    1/2 t ground cinnamon
    1/4 t ground cloves
    1/2 t lemon juice
    Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan; stir well.
    Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered for 30 minutes until mixture is smooth and thickened.
    Quickly pour pumpkin butter mixture into hot jars, filling to 1/4 inch from top.
    Wipe jar rims clean.
    Place lids with bands on and process in a boiling water bath 15 minutes.
    Yield:4 half pints.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

2. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] thanks so much for this......sounds so yummy.......Lord knows I have enough pumpkin pulp in my fridge for loads of this stuff [​IMG]

3. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    I have a friend who bought some pumpkin butter as a gift for his mother-in-law and claims she absolutely adores it.

I'm going to save this recipe and give it a try. Thanks for sharing !!!

Julie [​IMG]

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Sounds delicious. I wanted to make apple butter and pumpkin butter this fall but with the drought we suffered in this area the cushaw pumpkins were scarce and the apples were saddly lacking. I only got a couple dozen off my own trees (thanks to snow 2 days before Easter that killed most of the aple blossoms).

5. oakmancritters

oakmancritters Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2007
    oakman,alabama
    you are all so welcome ..if any of you have any canning recipes for sugar free stuff i could use it as well.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by