pumpkin for deworming?

chickylady

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 14, 2008
grand rapids
Has anyone tried feeding chickens pumpkin as a dewormer?
I read it is a natural dewormer. Mine do not have worms but I thought I would give them one as a way to be proactive. If you have tried this did it work??

The mixture you are looking for is hulled pumpkin seeds in buttermilk, which will only work as a preventative, not a dewormer. A good way to get the seeds you want is to scrape out the insides of the pumpkin and throw them through the blender with some buttermilk. Yep! The stringy stuff and all! After I mix the pumpkins seeds, stringy stuff, and buttermilk up I take a pie plate of the mixture out to the girls and they go absolutely nuts!

See!
7910_dsc04625.jpg

Found this on another site.
Chris

Ground raw hulled Pumpkin Seeds are a good natural wormer. There is a coating on the seed that paralyzes the worm and then the worm can be expelled by the digestive action of the gut. It is good to feed something that will cause the animal to have a slight diarrhea (flush) like molasses or skim milk about an hour or two after the seeds have been eaten.

*Note- the seeds only paralyze the tapeworm and roundworm*

I agree, it's one of those theraputic foods that benefit your birds but if you see worms you're probably going to want something more powerful. We've been lucky so far, we use pumpkin and food-grade DE. But since we started the hens on new ground, it may have been pure luck that we have not yet seen worms.

There is an article in this months backyard poultry about that. They suggest two weeks of pumpkin (seeds are the most important part), garlic, and dandelion greens. The pumpkin seeds are a natural de-wormer, the garlic is good for the immune system and helps with the parasite overload. Dandelion is a diuretic and helps move those worms along...

I feed pumpkin this time of year after Halloween they are very cheap. I have not seen any expulsion of worms nor do I know if it works or not, via absence of proof, but the chickens love the raw pumpkin so hey why not.

AL

Thanks for your responses. My girls really liked it and I think I will continue to feed them it. Cute chick pic. and I really like the magazine backyard poultry. That is where I read the article on natural dewormer.

Back
Top Bottom