Pumpkin Hulsey feather color

Quote:
The first ones I bought from Paul Bradshaw turned out to be all White (Butterscotch) is what I called them when I bred these back this was also the only colors produced Butterscotch and to my under standing the Pumpkins carrier a White gene this is what I was told so take it with a gran of salt. I sold all of mine and got more from Paul and this batch was the Orange color but none of the pullets lived so I had 5 Roosters and no hens sold all but one Rooster and I will find something to breed with him one of these days.

If I remember right they were about 10 or 11 months old because I thought they would never start laying and almost gave up on them, We had 3 hens and got 3 eggs a day when they started.

But if you have the White colored ones you will probably not hatch out any of the Orange colored ones, Orange you will get both colors.

Steve

Thanks so much..... I only have one white colored (what I think is a female) Uncertain at present! Wow, that's a long time for the eggs!!! Good to hear they are good layers though!

Hi, they'll lay around eight months old. It's funny, I posted my original question on this thread a long time ago, and I've learned alot since then. These birds can take a long time to develop their wattles and combs, so what you might think is a hen for a month or two could turn out to be a cockeral. I was surprised a few times this fall. My suggestion would be to hold on to as many as possible till you are certain who is male and who is female. I have a cockeral that finally started to really grow his comb and wattles at the same time he started to crow, were talking four months old! No Joke. Believe me, I keep a pretty close eye on my birds and it was like all of a sudden this bird changed in looks in a matter of a week or so.

I hope my seller was 100% "upfront" that he didn't know boy from girl...Otherwise I might have 12 boys....Ugh.....Anyone need a rooster.....Oh I shouldn't say that!
smile.png

Am I correct that if it's orangish, it's always a boy.....I hope not,,,,,I have predominately orangish, but I do have beige colored ones... hoping girls here (not white,, beige)!!!!

Is there anyone coming to the Newnan show next month that has some laying hens of these for sale???? If yes, pleaes pm me! Thanks and have a blessed day.
(also at the risk of asking the "stupid" question, is there a thread somewhere on Pumpkin Hulseys? Nancy

one of my light color pumpkin hulsey , going thru a molt

chicken062.jpg

chicken066.jpg

one of the darker one

chicken013.jpg

another darker one, so you can see lots of differents. Yet that one pic of his cock has been used to sell thousand of eggs and chicks, when he couldn't have been the father to all of them. Reason i alway post pic of the true father of the eggs or chicks being sold.

chicken051.jpg

Bargain, I originally ordered a trio from paul at greenfire. he sent me what he thought were two white pullets and two "butterscotch" cockerels. They all turned out to be hens. He did send me three more birds when I contacted him about it, all I paid was the $35 for shipping. He also offered to take the birds back if I wasn't satisfied with the color. Last year his description wasn't very clear as to the genetic variability regarding the color of these chickens. He's since changed the description of the pumpkin hulsey on the Greenfire Farms website so people understand that not all hulseys are going to be bright orange. I've got two orange roosters over two butterscotch hens, and they've thrown everything from white up to orange. That's out of two dozen or so youngsters this past summer. I'd venture to guess, If you wind up with a cock and hen, whatever their color, you'll wind up with something to your liking. But, yes, I held onto my deepest orange youngsters and they turned out to be males. A deep, almost chocolate base color, i.e. breast, body feather, with really contrasting orange hackles is what I consider my ideal pumpkin hulsey, color wise. Hope this helps.

Yes definitely will hold on to the orange ones.......I've got severalspectacular orange and almost lavendar and orange one that I think are cockerals...looking one....I'm tempted to hold to that. to see what breeds out!

So, as long as I don't hold to the white one, sounds it should be fine. I may put the white one on yard patrol when he's older....I've heard that they are excellent in running off hawks, or is that rumor?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom