Pumpkin Hulsey feather color

I can't say they run off hawks, but mine free range and they're not scared of anything. I watched four of mine follow the neighbors cat up the hill outback last week. they were only three or so feet behind it. As for hawks, I've never known them to bother trying to kill anything much bigger than a bantam. My concern here in N.H. are the critters with fur. Mine coop at sundown on their own and they get locked up for the night. The roosters do keep a pretty close eye on things when they're out though. The hens can be pretty nasty when they want to be also. Keep checking back, I'll try to get some pics. up this week.

Nancy the hens of the dark colored ones are Wheaten colored, that may be the beige ones you are talking about. I'll try to get you some pics of my pair in the next day or two so you can see.

Hey RAREROO,

Hulsey's Pumpkins I believe should be Yellow Birchens or Gingers and some Gingers come dark very similar to the Redquills, If this is so they would be BB Red based not Wheaten.

Chris

Last edited for spelling..

Last edited:
Okay I took and loaded up the pictures of the boys/girls as I think I see... If any of you would be so kind, would please look at the pics here http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=49295&id=152971318064584&l=b7cabf26bc and tell me if you think they are boy or girl...And yes, I have a picture of a guest bird here as well. You can just tell me what the total number of pullets you think you see. I'm hoping 4 but I had a gentleman who knows more than I about these tell me I had only 2.....Hope not! If you see any you would not use in a breeding program other than the white ones, would you also either make a note on fbook or let me know here...Thanks so much!

Last edited:
Ugh it's a rooster overtaking!!!!
smile.png
I was so afraid of that....mmmm.... There will be some roosters for sale if anyone needs one/more! Thanks Nancy

So I've got five Hulseys right now, all 16 weeks old. 3 males and 2 females. Two of the boys started crowing and jumping on everything female about two weeks ago. (!!!!) The remaining boy's comb has only started to develop - unlike the other two who have CLEARLY been boys since about a month old. One of the girls is a complete sweetheart, the other is a bit of a freak.

Someone mentioned how the stags are worth more than the hens for a purebred Pumpkin Hulsey, but how much difference does color make? There are only two I want to keep, a boy and a girl, and the other three are the slower developing boy and a White boy with gold hackle feathers and a girl who is White with mocha-colored tail feathers. Curious as to what those white ones will look like as adults, but I don't want to keep them.

I posted them for sale and no one was even slightly interested. Where is a good place to sell Game (without having to worry about people trying to fight them!)?

Thanks for any advice - experience - observations!

Do you know how much one of these roster's would cost?
Depends where you get it from and what you're looking for. Pumpkins can range from 25-2,500. A decent quality bird will come from a good breeder which most people with Hulsey's are not (many you will see now are Greenfire farms' and those by most games standards aren't good. Greenfire has some nice birds no doubt in other breeds, but they are not worth the price for the Hulsey's IMO as a fourth generation gamefowl breeder.) Breeders who have the real deal, no clue as it varies and they are not common. Think CUDA has some Pumpkins but not sure on his price/if he sells them. If you just want the bird for the color, Greenfires are good but most people want 75-150 a cock for Greenfires stock; I'd rather buy buff leghorns- at least they're better egg producers.

Ron Lutz is supposed to have some nice Yellow Birchens I've heard, http://thefallcreekranch.com/gamefowl/nunis_birchen.html has some pictures. By the looks of it Slipspur has/had them, and I've never heard anything wrong about Slipspur's birds and usually fairly priced for the quality from what I can remember.

God bless,
Daniel.

Last edited:
I posted them for sale and no one was even slightly interested. Where is a good place to sell Game (without having to worry about people trying to fight them!)?

Thanks for any advice - experience - observations!
Here will probably work well, if you can take them to some poultry shows then it may work out fine; from my understanding many of them have sale lots and you know the people who go there are actually interested in poultry shows. Game are hard to sell though, they have a lot of misconceptions behind them and in general only gamefowl breeders will be interested in your birds.. And then it comes into play, "What line? Where from?" and if it carries any blood with a negative reputation like some or they don't know the line/can't find any information on it they'll bypass it for other stock.

God bless,
Daniel.

ETA: I notice this is a really old post, but no one never answered and if nothing else.. Perhaps my answer will be found through search by someone asking the same question.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom